Plasma vs LED/LCD TV for a monitor

Off-Kilter

Oct 15, 2011
Hey everyone, I need some advice,

I am in the market for a new tv, because my 32" samsung lcd's mainboard died 2 months ago (not worth the money to fix it), and I am a student, so I am on a tight budget. I am using a TV primarily as a monitor first, then watching actual tv a distant second (my desktop is in a living room situation)

I've heard that plasma tvs give you the best bang for your buck in terms of picture quality, most people say that burn in isn't a problem anymore and the only thing that happens is image retention (play a game for a few hours, and the hud will stay for a few minutes then disappear). But since I'll be browsing the web a lot, I am worried about, say the windows start button being static for so long, that it might burn in fairly quickly. If that isn't the case, and I have no need to worry, then I was thinking about picking up this plasma on sale:

http://www.visions.ca/catalogue/category/details.aspx?categoryID=520&productid=9924&sku=TCP50U50&gclid=CLiDy_7D3LQCFYp_QgodeWAAsQ

If having a task bar be static for a few hours everyday might cause burn in, then I would purchase this Samsung lcd (good size for a good price):

http://www.visions.ca/catalogue/category/Details.aspx?categoryId=519&productId=9636&sku=LN46E550

So I'll be web browsing, watching movies, playing Battlefield 3, document editing etc. What do you think is the best choice? With the LCD I wouldn't have to worry about burn in and breaking it in for the first 100-200 hours, but the picture quality is not nearly as nice and there would be more blur compared to the plasma (Battlefield 3).

Thanks for the help!

I would go with a LCD over a Plasma for a computer monitor because of the response time , I feel that the response time on an LCD is much better then a Plasma.
For watching Tv and movies I would go with the Plasma because the picture quality is much better.
Tough choice,but since you will use it more for the computer I would go with the LCD.

bigj1985

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010

I know this is an older thread but plasmas absolutely DESTROY LCD when it comes to both response time and input lag. Plasmas also deliver a vastly superior picture in pretty much every situation. Once you get used to watching fast paced sports on a Plasma you will never want to look at a LCD/LED tv again. It really is that good. The only LCD based tv sets that come close or slightly rival even a cheap plasma are the $5000+ LED based sets.

Wit that being said Plasma can still suffer from "burn-In" which is basically image retention; but honestly Plasma has come a long way and IR is alot less prevelant today than it was years ago.

Plasma also uses more power but its not like your looking at some huge power bill leap going from LCD to Plasma. They are just not as effecient. Taking all that into account Plasma is just a superior display for pretty much everything.