[SOLVED] Plastic Cover Rattles w/ Fans

bdanning09

Prominent
Feb 27, 2019
Kind of an odd question, but I don't think I'm the only one with this issue...

Have any of you experienced this? It's rather annoying, I currently have the side panel off and my computer sits on top of my desk. When I boot up a game and my GPU's temp rise, the fan speed picks up and thats when the vibration / rattling begins. However, whats interesting is when the GPU gets even warmer and the fans start spinning even faster the noise will stop.

Not that it matters, but it seems to only vibrate / rattle around 75% and if I were to for example, simply place my finger on the plastic cover the vibration stops.

Does anyone have any solutions to this?

RX 590 Fatboy if it matters.

Solution
The plastic cover of the.....GPU fan shroud? Just poke around to figure out what it's barely touching. If you set the fans to a constant 75% in software, that will allow the rattle to happen continuously until you find the exact spot source.

This phenomena is called "resonant frequency"

For example, something in the dashboard of my car rattles at 1900-2100rpm with moderate load on the motor. Two plastic pieces somewhere aren't quite tight to each other (or don't have rubber/foam/etc between them)
The plastic cover of the.....GPU fan shroud? Just poke around to figure out what it's barely touching. If you set the fans to a constant 75% in software, that will allow the rattle to happen continuously until you find the exact spot source.

For example, something in the dashboard of my car rattles at 1900-2100rpm with moderate load on the motor. Two plastic pieces somewhere aren't quite tight to each other (or don't have rubber/foam/etc between them)

Solution

bdanning09

Prominent
Feb 27, 2019

The plastic cover "fan shroud" appears to make contact directly in the middle between both fans. However, I see no where to tighten anything. The only solution I can come up with is to try to cut / shave some of the plastic at the contact point...