[SOLVED] plastic holder piece under CPU broke in half. still works? Photos

jayleonis

Honorable
Nov 18, 2018
Cpu was stuck to cooler and this happend when i pulled it out. I can lay it back down and the cpu fits and locks in seemingly okay. Would this affect if the cpu works or not?

bHw8uvL.jpg

hEkL9HB.jpg

Solution
The lever seems to works fine. Here is a photo of the cpu inserted back with the broken piece laid down flush where it was before. Seemed to fit normal and lock in normally to me.

View: https://imgur.com/a/YzP1E2X
If you've not bent any of the tiny contacts in the socket I'd say it's good to be used.
Do you think it will still work? Is there a way to test it with only mother board cpu and psu?
You will also need a GPU, memory and display of course.

Don't remove it to check, just install a heatsink and test it out. Removing the broken plastic piece means replacing it again...if you didn't bend one the the contacts before you might the second time.

Lutfij

Titan
That's the first time I've seen the CPU socket areas mount come off like that. You could try and piece it back together but I doubt that the locking mechanism will work. Even if it does work, the next time you remove the CPU cooler to reapply thermal paste will have you rip the entire CPU mount off the board, if not, the other 3rd of the plastic mount. How's the lever for the CPU mount looking?

The lever seems to works fine. Here is a photo of the cpu inserted back with the broken piece laid down flush where it was before. Seemed to fit normal and lock in normally to me.

View: https://imgur.com/a/YzP1E2X
If you've not bent any of the tiny contacts in the socket I'd say it's good to be used.
Do you think it will still work? Is there a way to test it with only mother board cpu and psu?
You will also need a GPU, memory and display of course.

Don't remove it to check, just install a heatsink and test it out. Removing the broken plastic piece means replacing it again...if you didn't bend one the the contacts before you might the second time.

Solution