[SOLVED] Plastic Side Window Problems

Aug 14, 2020
I have a fractal design Focus G that comes with plastic side panel window with what I can only assume is some kind of acrylic. Problem is, the quality on it is so poor that literally anything will scratch it. Eventually this bothered me and I tried to remove the scratches and polish the panel with toothpaste. Second problem is, my brain is completely smooth and I made the problem way worse than it was before as now there are permanent streaks on the panel and the window appears murky. Does anyone with better knowledge of plastics know anything that might be worth trying to fix it?

DSzymborski

Titan
PlastX is cleaner and polish! Really, any plastic polish ought to do if it isn't too severe.

It's a fine entry-level case, but it is an entry-level case, which is why the acrylic rather than tempered glass. Acrylic is really easy to damage, but the margins on these budget cases are tiny, so it's hard to expect better materials!

Aug 14, 2020
PlastX is cleaner and polish! Really, any plastic polish ought to do if it isn't too severe.

It's a fine entry-level case, but it is an entry-level case, which is why the acrylic rather than tempered glass. Acrylic is really easy to damage, but the margins on these budget cases are tiny, so it's hard to expect better materials!

It made it better than before, still not 100% but Ill keep trying every now and again; so thanks for the suggestion.

You might want to just clean it with alcohol and spray a coat of clearcoat over it. You've already done most of the DIY type work

Probably will try this too; problem is alcohol is sold out everywhere. Checked Walmart today when I picked up the plasticx and literally three shelves worth of iso alcohol were completely empty. Bummer too, wanted to put a new cpu heatsink in, but can't really do that without iso to clean the old paste off the ihs.

racksmith101

Respectable
Reactions: Ralston18
Hi guys
Just a heads up for people who need to clean plastic parts of their cases (or plastics in general).
Isopropanol can attack certain types of plastic,( I've seen it happen at work several times where a staff member has used the wrong cleaner on a plastic part), here's a useful link to check for compatibility. https://www.acplasticsinc.com/informationcenter/r/a-chemical-resistance-guide-for-plastics

Can confirm ... had a solution i tried using to clean my plastic window on my computer case.

The result was lets just say, bad...

Then again it might have been my fault for buying a cheap case, but definitely always read up on what cleaning products you can use for the material in your case/monitor or anything else... it can be quite horrible if you mess up >.<

Ralston18

Titan
In agreement:

@martyscott89

Reference:

"Then again it might have been my fault for buying a cheap case, but definitely always read up on what cleaning products you can use for the material in your case/monitor or anything else... it can be quite horrible if you mess up. "

Not your fault.

Many folks (unlike you) are too lazy to clean and/or take care of their things. - manufacturer's know that and it is all to easy to produce products that scratch, get dirty, become discolored, or otherwise unattractive. Instead cleaning - people just buy "new". Cash cow.

However, for those folks (like you) who are not lazy and do take care of their things the manufacturers' defense is to use materials/compositions that cannot be easily cleaned and restored.

Especially if the necessary raw materials are cheaper to obtain and subsequent manufacturing processes are likewise cheaper.

Barring the possible purchase of some proprietary and likely expensive cleaner not much can be done.

The overall problem is widely spread and extends into many, many products. And lots of commercials and advertisements focus on some "yuck" factor. In the mode of "You are tired of.....".

Yes. read carefully but for the most part the "fine print" will make the end consumer responsible for any damage, discoloration, and so forth that happens to occurs.

Cynicism conceded.