play settlers 3 in windows vista

Ewout

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
Hello,
I'm trying to play Settlers 3 on my pc. However, it keeps saying "siedler3 doesn't work anymore. When there is a solution, you'll be notivited.
My pc runs with windows vista. Is there a solution to play this game?

Regards, Ewout

Microsoft's answer is: Vista hasn't been supported in years, and in order to have 'solutions' you need to upgrade to the current supported version of Windows (7 or 8). Unfortunately THAT IS the correct answer as well if there is any support from the maker of Settlers 3 which I doubt as well as this was released in 1998, SIXTEEN YEARS AGO (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Settlers_III). The only people that support 'ancient' games like that MAYBE from Good Old Gamers (gog.com) that 'retrofits' the games to work on modern platforms, but many aren't ever done due to legal and other issues.

As the cost of Windows (FYI) is around $179, it is a silly investment as compared to just buying a new PC ($249 at Walmart for i3 Core, Windows, 6-8GB RAM, 600GB+ HDD, DVD and many with free LCD included) for just general use is only a few dollars more. For normal gaming it requires more investment ($349 for a i5 system + replace PSU for $90 - 600w + buy dedicated GPU $149-$499) but still your not anywhere as costly as it used to be.