• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question Playing a specific game makes all other processes hitch and delay

cafc17

Commendable
May 21, 2017
Hey everyone, I've had this problem for a while and believe me, I've tried everything.

I play planetside 2 a ton, but when I'm in game other processes have a hard time working. Discord voice chat becomes choppy and takes a while to activate push-to-talk (it can take multiple seconds). Shadowplay videos I record when playing planetside come out choppy and jumpy. Even youtube videos I play in the background in chrome can stop and start for no apparent reason.

This doesn't happen in any other game - I'm pretty sure it's because planetside 2 is very CPU heavy. I've tried setting discord etc. to high priority and planetside to low, but this didn't make any difference. I also wrote a .bat file to make sure these priorities stay selected, but again, no improvement.

I have an i5 4690k overclocked to 4.2 and a 1060 6gb, so I'm pretty sure these should be able to run all the processes fine. Especially because I have buddies who have worse rigs than mine doing this.

Any help would be great, thank you!

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

RAM?

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Disk drives: make, model, capacity? How full are the system drives?

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use only one at a time and observe first while not gaming and then while gaming.

What did you put in that .bat file? Be wary of such things. Stay out of the Registry.

lordmogul

Honorable
Jun 14, 2014
As a fellow quad core user (3570K) I can only say that our CPUs are not able to handle the game in big fights anymore. So either get an i7 (4c/8t) for your current board or upgrade atleast to a 6 core.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS