[SOLVED] Playing a specific game makes all other processes hitch and delay

cafc17

Commendable
May 21, 2017
Hey everyone, I've had this problem for a while and believe me, I've tried everything.

I play planetside 2 a ton, but when I'm in game other processes have a hard time working. Discord voice chat becomes choppy and takes a while to activate push-to-talk (it can take multiple seconds). Shadowplay videos I record when playing planetside come out choppy and jumpy. Even youtube videos I play in the background in chrome can stop and start for no apparent reason.

This doesn't happen in any other game - I'm pretty sure it's because planetside 2 is very CPU heavy. I've tried setting discord etc. to high priority and planetside to low, but this didn't make any difference. I also wrote a .bat file to make sure these priorities stay selected, but again, no improvement.

I have an i5 4690k overclocked to 4.2 and a 1060 6gb, so I'm pretty sure these should be able to run all the processes fine. Especially because I have buddies who have worse rigs than mine doing this.

Any help would be great, thank you!

Solution
As a fellow quad core user (3570K) I can only say that our CPUs are not able to handle the game in big fights anymore. So either get an i7 (4c/8t) for your current board or upgrade atleast to a 6 core.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

RAM?

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Disk drives: make, model, capacity? How full are the system drives?

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use only one at a time and observe first while not gaming and then while gaming.

What did you put in that .bat file? Be wary of such things. Stay out of the Registry.