Playing at 140 fps, yet recording at 15

PigeonHudson

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014
I play games at 140 fps. Specifically, League of Legends, maximum graphics.
When I hit record on Dxtory, 1080p, it records 15 fps even though I'm still playing on 140.
If I drop it to 720p, I can hit 30 frames recording.
Why is this?

I have an AMD R9 270x and an i7 3.4 GHz processor. I've seen people upload 1080p videos of League on a far less powerful PC. So I assume it isnt a component issue.

I am using the Lagarith Lossless Codec fyi.

Thanks.

Solution

I would say just lower your bitrate some for now until you have the opportunity to upgrade your storage or have a reason to, personally I would probably get a 250gb SSD purely for recording then a 1TB HDD for the compressed video, but I tend to blow a lot of money on stupid things, it would be a smarter decision to just lower the bitrate if you don't have disposable income.

Also 720p video doesn't look that bad, it's still very watchable as long as you're using proper codecs, I'm not a video expert by any means I don't even record video myself, but I am a technician so I run into these issues frequently.

juanrdp

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
The fps the game plays have nothing to do with the fps you are recording.

You could aso play at 3fps and record at 60, the limit in the fps recording in the thoughput of the recording software/hardware and the speed of the store media (HDD, SDD, Flash, Nas...) that hold that information while the fps of the game are limited by your gpu.

Lmah

Honorable
May 3, 2013
Assuming you're recording to a hard drive, what RPM is it, and what write speeds are you getting, this could be what is limiting you. But it could also be several other things. This is the first that comes to mind.

Maybe it's a setting in the program?

For example, does it choose frame rate based on the speed you can write to your drive?

You might want to try OBS as well: https://obsproject.com/

Also, find out if your Intel CPU or video card can have the video encoder used similar to NVidia Shadowplay. I don't know if the Intel CPU's iGPU can be used if you use a dedicated card though..

Your limited by your storage, thats why dropping the video quality upped your recorded FPS.

Get a dedicated drive to record to and/or encode (compress) the footage your recording. Recording in a lossless codec means your getting ridiculous file sizes on your footage, which whatever storage you have cant keep up with.

PigeonHudson

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014

Woops I accidentally chose this as the solution. Yes, it does say, it just doesnt achieve it.

PigeonHudson

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014

I am recording to an old 2TB HDD. I also have a 100gb SSD, a new one. Should I record to that?

Lmah

Honorable
May 3, 2013

I would say just lower your bitrate some for now until you have the opportunity to upgrade your storage or have a reason to, personally I would probably get a 250gb SSD purely for recording then a 1TB HDD for the compressed video, but I tend to blow a lot of money on stupid things, it would be a smarter decision to just lower the bitrate if you don't have disposable income.

Also 720p video doesn't look that bad, it's still very watchable as long as you're using proper codecs, I'm not a video expert by any means I don't even record video myself, but I am a technician so I run into these issues frequently.

Solution

PigeonHudson

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014

Well I tried OBS (I use it to stream anyway) and got 60 fps 1080p easily. Screw dxtory!
Ive got my stream setting down, but what do you recommend I do for recording? As in all the encoding stuff

PigeonHudson

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014

I just made a perfectly fine 1080p 60 FPS video is 1.8gb on OBS. That would be 80gb in Dxtory. Why do people not just use this?