[SOLVED] Playing casual, light-weight or old games on integrated graphics?

Steven Mal

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
I play Age of Empires 2 HD with one of my friends and he told me that he plays his games on an inexpensive desktop without a graphics card. I have another friend who tells me she plays Sims 3 on a $400 laptop. It got me wondering about what games can be enjoyed on cheaper computers without discrete graphics cards. Personally, I have played some casual, light weight games, such as Plants vs Zombies and Tetris on old laptops back in 2007-2011. I have also played NES, SNES, and N64 emulators on cheap laptops without a GPU. Is there a hierarchy for integrated graphics? Are some integrated graphics more powerful than others? Can some integrated graphics handle light weight games better than others? Here's a list of some games I'm wondering about playing on cheaper computers without a GPU.

Gemcraft 2 Chasing Shadows
Dungeon Warfare
Metal Slug 3
Metal Slug X
Cat Quest
Papers, Please
Stanley Parable
Doki Doki Literature Club
Plants vs. Zombies
NES, SNES, N64 emulators
Arcade classics: Dig Dug, Pac-Man, Galaga, Tetris

Solution
I play Age of Empires 2 HD with one of my friends and he told me that he plays his games on an inexpensive desktop without a graphics card. I have another friend who tells me she plays Sims 3 on a $400 laptop. It got me wondering about what games can be enjoyed on cheaper computers without discrete graphics cards. Personally, I have played some casual, light weight games, such as Plants vs Zombies and Tetris on old laptops back in 2007-2011. I have also played NES, SNES, and N64 emulators on cheap laptops without a GPU. Is there a hierarchy for integrated graphics? Are some integrated graphics more powerful than others? Can some integrated graphics handle light weight games better than others? Here's a list of some games I'm...

DSzymborski

Titan
I play Age of Empires 2 HD with one of my friends and he told me that he plays his games on an inexpensive desktop without a graphics card. I have another friend who tells me she plays Sims 3 on a $400 laptop. It got me wondering about what games can be enjoyed on cheaper computers without discrete graphics cards. Personally, I have played some casual, light weight games, such as Plants vs Zombies and Tetris on old laptops back in 2007-2011. I have also played NES, SNES, and N64 emulators on cheap laptops without a GPU. Is there a hierarchy for integrated graphics? Are some integrated graphics more powerful than others? Can some integrated graphics handle light weight games better than others? Here's a list of some games I'm wondering about playing on cheaper computers without a GPU.

Gemcraft 2 Chasing Shadows
Dungeon Warfare
Metal Slug 3
Metal Slug X
Cat Quest
Papers, Please
Stanley Parable
Doki Doki Literature Club
Plants vs. Zombies
NES, SNES, N64 emulators
Arcade classics: Dig Dug, Pac-Man, Galaga, Tetris

There's not really a hierarchy since they're part of the CPU. Generally speaking, the newer the CPU, the better the integrated graphics, at least when comparing AMD to other AMD processors and Intel to other Intel processors. There's rarely any actual decision made as to which integrated graphics to go with.

Solution

Steven Mal

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
There's not really a hierarchy since they're part of the CPU. Generally speaking, the newer the CPU, the better the integrated graphics, at least when comparing AMD to other AMD processors and Intel to other Intel processors. There's rarely any actual decision made as to which integrated graphics to go with.

Thank you for your reply.