Playing Doom on a 7 Year Old Build? How do I do THAT again?

Tomblvd

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
The last few games I've installed I've had to cut back on the settings in order to get things to run smoothly. I wasn't surprised becuase it's been a long time since I built the thing. However, tonite I looked it up and realized just how old. I built this system (with this forum's help) in 2009!!!

Here are the highlights:

ASUS P755D Pro LGA1156 ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i5 Processor 2.66 GHz 8 MB LGA1156 CPU
AMD Radeon HD 7700 Graphics Card

The only thing I've done recently to upgrade was to bump up my RAM to 12GB and I use an SSD HD for my boot drive.

OK, let's do it again. Here's where I'm looking:

Intel Core I5-6400 LGA 1151
ASRock ATX DDR4 Motherboards Z170 PRO4
Undecided on the Graphics Card and RAM

I'll stick with my 500w power supply (that's only a couple of years old), and my 250GB SSD hard drive.

Ideas?

Seriously, I almost fell out of my chair when I realized I've been playing every game I could get my hands on with a 7 year old system. For all who helped, thanks.

What is your budget?
And what model is the power supply you're keeping?
Is the "SSD hard drive" a hybrid drive? Or just an SSD? What model is it? It is likely outdated at this point, and you'll need a new copy of windows anyway because of the new motherboard.
I know that feeling. ;)
I upgraded from a GTX 680 to a 980ti when I realized that I was barely getting playable frame rates in The Division Beta at low settings. Sat there and went to myself; "Oh ****, what have I been using?" :p

Amashi

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016
Honestly, machines are not getting better the way they used to. I bought my first machine in January of '96- it was one of the first to ship with Win95 (and what a mess Win95 OSR1 was- machine crashed ten times a day when doing 3d animation. Part of the process, I guess.) Seven years after that was... 2003. Things were better, but still a pain. Seven years after that was 2010.... things were much better by then.

Now, almost seven years later, the only things I see having made a lot of progress are GPUs. They are indeed wicked better. The machine I bought four years ago is, aside from its gtx 670, not very different from a machine I would buy today. But those GPUs....

Tomblvd

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006

I'm looking at a lower end graphics card. So around $200-300.

Crucial M500 SSD. It's current.

Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750-Watt TX Series 80 Plus. (sorry, I was thinking of my old 500w PS)

Tomblvd

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006

Maybe I should start with a new GPU with the current system? I'd originally considered that, but didn' think it would work.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS