[SOLVED] Playing Fortnite restarts my computer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2021
I recently built myself a new mid-tier (maybe on the lower end of mid-tier, specs below) pc, and it handles games like Destiny 2 , Apex Legends, Fortnite, Minecraft, and EVE Online without a hitch, temps are always stable, (almost) never above 80 degrees. But Fortnite and Apex Legends cause my computer to force restart quite often whenever i play them. Below i will list my specs and all the things I have done to try and fix this problem. I will try to be as clear as possible so as to narrow down the possible causes of this issue. Again, this never happens when i'm playing any other game or doing anything else on my pc, only when i play these two games.

I will briefly describe exactly what happens. I launch the game, and I am able to play it with no problems for a while. The force restart seems to just come at random times. Sometimes it restarts only a few minutes into my first game, sometimes not for hours after launch. Anyways, what happens is i'm just playing the game normally (with normal performance and no overheating) and, without any error message, warning, BSoD, restart message, or anything else, my monitor just black screens. My RGB keyboard and mouse also stop lighting up at the same time as my monitor blacks out, as if power was cut from them. The RGB strips, fans and everything else in my pc keep going as if nothing had happened. In 10-30 seconds, without any interferance from me, i get shown my lock screen. Sometimes, after i log into my pc directly after one of these restarts, it restarts again, even though all applications got closed from the original reboot. One time, I've even had this happen three times in a row.

Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: AMD RX 570
MOBO: MSI B550-A Pro
PSU: EVGA BQ Bronze 600w
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4-3600 2x8gb kit
STORAGE: 500gb WD Blue SSD (In use), 2TB Seagate Barracuda (Not in use)
I also have five 120mm case fans running at a decent rpm (3 intake, 2 exhaust), so, again, no overheating issues.
All housed in the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, a very nice case with good airflow.

Problems and fixes i have tried:

HARDWARE: I have seen many people in many different threads and forums saying hardware is the root of this issue. Most say power supply, but i can scratch that one off since firstly, i have already swapped/upgraded power supplies (500w -> 600w), and secondly, as i mentioned above, my computer handles demanding games like Destiny 2. Another suggestion was that i should update my motherboard's BIOS, but I have heard that BIOS flashing is risky and i only want to do this as a last resort.

UNINSTALL AND REINSTALL / VERIFY: I have unistalled and reinstalled the game many times, and have done the same with the entire epic games launcher once. I have also tried verifying the integrity of the game files even more times. No dice.

DISABLE WINDOWS FIREWALL: This one seemed kinda silly, but i was desperate enough to try it anyways. Still a restart.

RUN WITH NO OTHER APPLICATIONS OPEN: I've seen somebody say 'launch it in a separate desktop' and my dad recommended playing it with no other applications open or running. this one didn't work either.

EASYANTICHEAT: I have noticed that the two games that are acting up are also the only two games i have that use EasyAntiCheat. I have looked up if other people have had the problems i have been having with other easyanticheat games, and, sure enough, there were people. They described my exact issue, but not only with Fortnite and Apex Legends, but also Rust and Squad. I have tried deleting the EasyAntiCheat appdata folder and other folders/files. This stopped the issue for a while, but it recently started happening again. I have also tried repairing and reinstalling it, with no luck.

DRIVERS: I have updated drivers for my graphics card and my motherboard chipset. Didn't work.

There are some other things i have also tried that i can't list off the top of my head right now, but i will update if i remember any. I have tried to be as specific as possible, if anybody can help that would be greatly appreciated. I have had this problem for months now and i am really desperate to finally get this figured out so i can play my game. I will be doing more digging to try to find the root of the issue myself, but any help here would be lovely. Thanks for your time ;)

Solution
Seems to be working after running fortnite for hours... BIOS update seems to have fixed it. Now i can finally play my favorite game without fear of crashes.
Mar 1, 2021
It even started restarting without any games. I decided i'd had enough and went ahead and downloaded the latest BIOS for my MSI B550-A Pro. AFKing in Fortnite creative now and hoping for the best... will update when it restarts or if it resolved the issues. If this doesn't work... it's on to the hardware fixes.

Mar 1, 2021
Seems to be working after running fortnite for hours... BIOS update seems to have fixed it. Now i can finally play my favorite game without fear of crashes.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.