playing in 640*480 - oh joy

My poor old SVGA has died recently, and until i get myself a new display for the
pc, i have no other choice than to use one of my (even older) vga-s that are not
capable of handling anything more than 640*480. Well, this rules doom3 out, i
tought, but than who cares when i have a 250 mbytes roguelike directory on my
pc, packed with all kind of goodies (mostly *bands along with lostlaby, doomrl
and a few other things).

Than came the second shock. I felt more crippled playing angband in 640*480 than
actually trying to play some modern day graphical game. I am used to having a
bunch of windows (i/e, recall, messages, visible baddies), and using relatively
big fonts (8*13B for main, 6*10 for the rest, so it is nicely readable), and now
not half of that will fit into my screen. I know it is not a typical problem,
(and hopefully it wont last long) but i was curious if any of you have
experience with that. Is there a way to properly squeeze the necessary windows
into such a small screen? Or should i give up on the whole thing till i get my
new display? (Honestly I would, but i am eager to try Oangband 0.7, which i
havent yet). Advice/sympathy and such are appreciated.

Artagas <artagas@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in news:d9jjnb$1sqo$1@news.vol.cz:

> Is there a way to properly squeeze the necessary windows into
> such a small screen?

You could learn (or relearn) how to play with just the main window.
The game is quite playable without them, after all. (If not quite
as convenient, for obvious reasons.)

Then again, I never really got into using all the extra frills
like sub-windows to begin with.

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 17:36:54 GMT, Billy Bissette <baines@coastalnet.com>
wrote:

>Artagas <artagas@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in news:d9jjnb$1sqo$1@news.vol.cz:
>
>> Is there a way to properly squeeze the necessary windows into
>> such a small screen?
>
> You could learn (or relearn) how to play with just the main window.
>The game is quite playable without them, after all. (If not quite
>as convenient, for obvious reasons.)

Actually, I find that I always needed to open up the inventory dio\splay by
default, in order to keep track of the item slots. It required a hard
coded change, and made the game more convienent.

> Then again, I never really got into using all the extra frills
>like sub-windows to begin with.

That's nothing - I went for a long time thinking the Print 'M'ap command
sent output to the printer. Finally discovered otherwise in the 2.7.9 era.

bill

Does your OS and video card support virtual desktops or multiple
desktops? You coul make a 1280x1024 virtual and just scroll around to
see the other windows. Or put windows on alternate desktops and flip
back and forth. Of course the latter is not much better than just using
the keys in fullscreen mode.

Bill

"Raymond Martineau" <bk039@ncf.ca> schrieb...

> Actually, I find that I always needed to open up the inventory dio\splay by
> default, in order to keep track of the item slots. It required a hard
> coded change, and made the game more convienent.

When i played dos versions, i did this with keymaps.
Map 'r' to "\\r\s" or "\\r*", and so on for many commands.

Werner.