[SOLVED] Playing MKVs in 1080p or 1080i

Sep 7, 2019
Hello.

I have a question, and forgive me for being kind of a newbie. I play a lot of mkv files with my blu-ray player (SONY BDP-S1500) on my Samsung UE32J5500 TV. The player is set on an 1080p output and so the tv gives a resolution of 1080/60p, and the quality is great.
But now I have several new mkv files (29.97 fps) that seem to be interlaced, I think that's the term, they have that combing effect. So I set my player on "auto" but it plays those files just like the others (60p), no deinterlacing. I'm forced to switch the player to a 1080i setting, for the files to play correctly.

The issue is that all my other files play at 60i as well now. Is there a way for the player to detect the files that need to be played at 60p or 60i? And will the video quality be inferior for my "regular" mkv files played in 1080/60i?

Thanks in advance for helping me understand this a little better.

Solution
2 options.

1. Avoid 1080i files and convert the ones you have to 1080p using Handbrake or VLC.

2. Root the player and put the VLC app on then use that instead.

Stock OS have annoying little issues that pop up and you just found one for that.
Sep 7, 2019
Ok, thank you! Don't know if my player can have the VLC app but I can try.

I've also just checked the files and they're not flagged as interlaced, which probably explains why they don't play properly with the 1080p setting.
Is there maybe a way to remux the files and properly flagging them as interlaced?

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Vewd and Plex would be alternatives but they killed both of those on that player, the only thing left is rooting and adding the VLC app. There is nothing app wise that is in the limited Sony collection that can do what you want. Sony isn't big on allowing you access to nonDLC content so they tend to deepsix anything useful for data hoarders that have their own files. I've moved to Roku players on all my TV's and streaming from a dedicated server I keep in the basement, there have only been a handful of things that won't play and I was able to just convert those to something that would in a few minutes. When downloading you have to be mindful of the formats you are getting and avoid possible conflicts and with VLC you can Play/Convert at the same time from a PC.

Sep 7, 2019
Ok, I think maybe I misjudged the issue There is a slight combing effect, but I think it's an issue with the source. The main problem is that a frame often blends into the next one, and I assumed it was an interlacing thing, but maybe it's not? And I thought setting my player to 1080/i fixed it, but it didn't.

Sans%20titre.jpg

The blending frames is not an issue when I play the files directly on my tv though, or with VLC, why won't it play properly on my player then?
(And I would use my tv but the playback isn't great with larger files.)