Question Playing movie from USB on Smart TV, Audio format not supported and doesn't go to the receiver for decoding ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 12, 2021
I have a 5.1 system with a Yamaha AVR, everything works well.

Now I have a movie on a USB flash drive with DTS-HD 5.1 audio. When I plug the flash drive to my Samsung TV, I can play the movie with no sound, and the TV tells me the sound format isn't supported.

It makes sense, that the TV won't decode DTS-HD content. My Yamaha reciever can decode it though, so I set the TV audio setting to "Pass through", as in pass all audio to reciever instead of the TV decoding it.

The TV still tells me the audio format isn't supported even when it's on pass through.

The reciever definitely supports DTS-HD. The file is definitely DTS-HD (mkv with DTS-HD audio), I already checked it.

As I said, I do get 5.1 from Netflix and any other source. Why is it when I try to play a movie from my flash drive, my TV won't pass through the audio for my reciever to decode it?

I tried converting the sound format via a software on my computer and it did work, but the sound quality was horrible. I can convert yhe sound again to a better format. But how can I use the power of the reciever's decoder to bypass the gruesome waiting for my PC to convert??

I really want to watch Pulp Fiction on my system! (Netflix doesn't have it in my country, don't offer a VPN I already tried one).

Status
Not open for further replies.