Playing non-Steam games via Steam

Hi all,

I have a quick question regarding Steam: I know it's possible to add non-Steam games to your Steam games list. My question is this: Does doing this give you the capability to play these games online via Steam? Let's say I have an old game (like AoE) that doesn't really have an online community any more. Can I play an online match with friends using Steam?

I know this can also be done via Hamachi, XFire and the like, but I want to test whether Steam is easier and/or more reliable to use. If it works, that is.

Thanks!

Solution
This is no possible, only source games and games with steamworks use the Steam network to connect multiplayer games, which all require Steam to be installed and registered through it.

All the non-steam game config does is add a shortcut to your gamelist and tell your friends you are playing a game outside of steam.

From what I remember AoE has a direct IP connecion option so correct port configuration and forwarding will allow connections to be made outside of any third party program.

evilgenius134

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
This is no possible, only source games and games with steamworks use the Steam network to connect multiplayer games, which all require Steam to be installed and registered through it.

All the non-steam game config does is add a shortcut to your gamelist and tell your friends you are playing a game outside of steam.

From what I remember AoE has a direct IP connecion option so correct port configuration and forwarding will allow connections to be made outside of any third party program.

Solution

bryguy894

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
That's exactly what I wanted to do with Borderlands. Unfortunately, all you can do is set up a shortcut to the application in your Steam library.

Wouldn't it be nice if there were some Steam code included in the store-bought copy that activated it? I guess they wouldn't make the money, though...