Playing PS4 on Gaming Monitor vs TV

CPU506

Reputable
Feb 14, 2015
I want to buy either a monitor or a tv for my room to play PS4 on, but if I am able to hook it up to a monitor, what would be better, this monitor: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-vs229hp or a 1080p 60Hz 32 inch tv. I know the tv is a few inches bigger, but it will be on my desk and I am going to be sitting in my chair which means my face is about 2 feet away, so 27 inches might be better, also, since both are 1080p and 60hz, the monitor is cheaper, a Samsung tv I looked at was $300, so should I get the monitor or the tv? thanks guys!

Solution

If you're close, get a higher pixel density (either more pixels for larger display or smaller display) or you're going to kill your eyes. At 2 feet, 1650x1080 should be considered the...

CPU506

Reputable
Feb 14, 2015
Edit, if you know a better monitor that is the same price and has built in speakers, and able to hook up my turtle beach headset to, and maybe an extra hdmi, please tell me, thanks again.

If you're close, get a higher pixel density (either more pixels for larger display or smaller display) or you're going to kill your eyes. At 2 feet, 1650x1080 should be considered the absolute MINIMUM for any display 27" or greater.

Seriously though, if you're going to make extended use of it - do not get a low PPI, or your eyes will not be happy with you.

Solution

CPU506

Reputable
Feb 14, 2015

ok thanks, do you mean a monitor or a tv? sorry I am kinda new to displays, I have been using an old sdtv for a while and I am not sure how all the specs or what ever you call it work :p

TV are the big things, usually 32" or larger, while a monitor is sold for computers and usually 29" or smaller.

You can go with either, but just make sure that the larger your display, the better your resolution. TV's fit fewer pixels than monitors into a larger space and so have much worse picture up close - at a distance it doesn't matter much.

This can be measured as PPI (you may have seen the apple retina displays use this term) or Pixels-per-inch. TV's are big and have low PPI, at a distance this doesn't matter. Think about it like this though:

If you had two displays, both with 1080 vertical pixels, which would probably look better:
1080 pixels crammed into a 23" display
or that same number of pixels (colour changing units) spread across 36" of screen?

The former, obviously. Otherwise you'll be able to see pixels easily.

pixel density aside, sometimes its just nice to play on a bigger screen.....
I mean, you dont boycot the cinema because you have a 27" 4k monitor with higher pixel density at home do you?

I don't see pixels at 10 feet. Frankly, I'm so nearsighted I don't see much of anything at 10 feet, but the distance matters. You wouldn't catch me dead using anything sub 1080p at 2'.