playing xbox over DSL question(s)

abracadabra

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2004

Howdy
My DW suddenly wants to be able to play Halo online via our xbox (when it
was PC games I was interested in she said that it was too expensive, but now
that she's a Halo-addict we can afford it - how odd!).
Anyway, we live in rural NC, so the best online connection we can get is DSL
via Sprint.

Questions:

We have an old (from the late 90's) 3Com Ethernet Hub - is that the same
thing as the "Router" that Xbox lists on their web site?

Do I need a special version of the Xbox or will the used one I picked up
last Spring work?

Heck - any advice the worth and technical problems one faces playing Halo
(probably will get Halo2 and the maps expansion set) online?

Thanks!

robin

"abracadabra" <abra@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Howdy
> My DW suddenly wants to be able to play Halo online via
> our xbox (when it was PC games I was interested in she
> said that it was too expensive, but now that she's a
> Halo-addict we can afford it - how odd!).
> Anyway, we live in rural NC, so the best online connection
> we can get is DSL via Sprint.
>
> Questions:
>
> We have an old (from the late 90's) 3Com Ethernet Hub - is
> that the same thing as the "Router" that Xbox lists on
> their web site?
>
> Do I need a special version of the Xbox or will the used
> one I picked up last Spring work?
>
> Heck - any advice the worth and technical problems one
> faces playing Halo (probably will get Halo2 and the maps
> expansion set) online?
>
> Thanks!

The hub is not the same as the router. You can skip the
router if you are able to run an ethernet cord from your
XBox to your DSL modem, then when you want to play online,
just unplug your PC from the modem and plug your XBox in and
reset the modem by turning it off for a few seconds and then
back on. I have a router, but I still have to run my XBox
directly from the modem, or it lags horribly. My roommate
however is able to play online from the router without lag.
I have no idea why, they both have the same settings in the
router, the only difference is that mine is a good bit
further away from the router. Any XBox will work fine, but
you will have to get Halo 2 to play on Live. Halo does not
support Live.

Robin wrote:
> "abracadabra" <abra@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Howdy
>>My DW suddenly wants to be able to play Halo online via
>>our xbox (when it was PC games I was interested in she
>>said that it was too expensive, but now that she's a
>>Halo-addict we can afford it - how odd!).
>>Anyway, we live in rural NC, so the best online connection
>>we can get is DSL via Sprint.
>>
>>Questions:
>>
>>We have an old (from the late 90's) 3Com Ethernet Hub - is
>>that the same thing as the "Router" that Xbox lists on
>>their web site?
>>
>>Do I need a special version of the Xbox or will the used
>>one I picked up last Spring work?
>>
>>Heck - any advice the worth and technical problems one
>>faces playing Halo (probably will get Halo2 and the maps
>>expansion set) online?
>>
>>Thanks!
>>

> The hub is not the same as the router. You can skip the
> router if you are able to run an ethernet cord from your
> XBox to your DSL modem, then when you want to play online,
> just unplug your PC from the modem and plug your XBox in and
> reset the modem by turning it off for a few seconds and then
> back on. I have a router, but I still have to run my XBox
> directly from the modem, or it lags horribly. My roommate
> however is able to play online from the router without lag.
> I have no idea why, they both have the same settings in the
> router, the only difference is that mine is a good bit
> further away from the router. Any XBox will work fine, but
> you will have to get Halo 2 to play on Live. Halo does not
> support Live.

regarding your problem Robin, it sounds like either an attenuation or
interference/crosstalk problem. How old and how long is your ethernet
segment, and to what does it run along.

beck

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

abracadabra wrote:
> Howdy
> My DW suddenly wants to be able to play Halo online via our xbox
> (when it was PC games I was interested in she said that it was too
> expensive, but now that she's a Halo-addict we can afford it - how
> odd!). Anyway, we live in rural NC, so the best online connection we can
> get
> is DSL via Sprint.
>
> Questions:
>
> We have an old (from the late 90's) 3Com Ethernet Hub - is that the
> same thing as the "Router" that Xbox lists on their web site?
>
> Do I need a special version of the Xbox or will the used one I picked
> up last Spring work?
>
> Heck - any advice the worth and technical problems one faces playing
> Halo (probably will get Halo2 and the maps expansion set) online?
>
> Thanks!

You could use the hub to connect between the xbox and pc using straight
through cables and use internet connection sharing. That will work okay.
The downside to that is that when you want to play xbox live you have to
have the pc switched on and connected. Also connecting via your pc can in
some cases have a connection problem with a bit of slow down. I never had a
problem with it when I connected via the pc, but I know some people do. The
best way to connect is via a proper adsl modem router. This will enable you
to connect directly without the pc switched on as the router stores your isp
connection information. This method is also more stable.

robin

"babanoosh" <snoopdizzel@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
> Robin wrote:
>> "abracadabra" <abra@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Howdy
>>>My DW suddenly wants to be able to play Halo online via
>>>our xbox (when it was PC games I was interested in she
>>>said that it was too expensive, but now that she's a
>>>Halo-addict we can afford it - how odd!).
>>>Anyway, we live in rural NC, so the best online
>>>connection we can get is DSL via Sprint.
>>>
>>>Questions:
>>>
>>>We have an old (from the late 90's) 3Com Ethernet Hub -
>>>is that the same thing as the "Router" that Xbox lists on
>>>their web site?
>>>
>>>Do I need a special version of the Xbox or will the used
>>>one I picked up last Spring work?
>>>
>>>Heck - any advice the worth and technical problems one
>>>faces playing Halo (probably will get Halo2 and the maps
>>>expansion set) online?
>>>
>>>Thanks!
>>>

>> The hub is not the same as the router. You can skip the
>> router if you are able to run an ethernet cord from your
>> XBox to your DSL modem, then when you want to play
>> online, just unplug your PC from the modem and plug your
>> XBox in and reset the modem by turning it off for a few
>> seconds and then back on. I have a router, but I still
>> have to run my XBox directly from the modem, or it lags
>> horribly. My roommate however is able to play online
>> from the router without lag. I have no idea why, they
>> both have the same settings in the router, the only
>> difference is that mine is a good bit further away from
>> the router. Any XBox will work fine, but you will have
>> to get Halo 2 to play on Live. Halo does not support
>> Live.
> regarding your problem Robin, it sounds like either an
> attenuation or interference/crosstalk problem. How old and
> how long is your ethernet segment, and to what does it run
> along.

It is a 50 ft. cable that runs along my baseboards. It's
about 6-7 months old. I can't remember if it is Cat5 or
Cat6. The only thing that runs under the baseboards with it
is some speaker wire. I have both XBoxes set up for DMZ
hosting through the router.

Robin wrote:
> "babanoosh" <snoopdizzel@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
>
>>Robin wrote:
>>
>>>"abracadabra" <abra@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>>The hub is not the same as the router. You can skip the
>>>router if you are able to run an ethernet cord from your
>>>XBox to your DSL modem, then when you want to play
>>>online, just unplug your PC from the modem and plug your
>>>XBox in and reset the modem by turning it off for a few
>>>seconds and then back on. I have a router, but I still
>>>have to run my XBox directly from the modem, or it lags
>>>horribly. My roommate however is able to play online
>>>from the router without lag. I have no idea why, they
>>>both have the same settings in the router, the only
>>>difference is that mine is a good bit further away from
>>>the router. Any XBox will work fine, but you will have
>>>to get Halo 2 to play on Live. Halo does not support
>>>Live.
>>
>>regarding your problem Robin, it sounds like either an
>>attenuation or interference/crosstalk problem. How old and
>>how long is your ethernet segment, and to what does it run
>>along.
>

> It is a 50 ft. cable that runs along my baseboards. It's
> about 6-7 months old. I can't remember if it is Cat5 or
> Cat6. The only thing that runs under the baseboards with it
> is some speaker wire. I have both XBoxes set up for DMZ
> hosting through the router.

hmmm.. that's about the length of my run; shouldn't be a problem until
about 330 feet (aggregate). Is it underneath any carpet, perhaps next to
some carpet nails that may have punctured it? I'd try another cable just
to be sure, and perhaps another port on the router to rule that out as
well. Tho, it is possible there is some crosstalk between the patch
cable and the speaker wire. Further, I suspect heavier gauge would be
worse. DMZ also huh? Truthfully I've never used a DMZ implementation (on
a consumer router) that worked correctly. Your boxes won't work the
standard way for Live? Or is that for your system link?

> Robin wrote:
>> "babanoosh" <snoopdizzel@dodgeit.com> wrote in message

>>>regarding your problem Robin, it sounds like either an
>>>attenuation or interference/crosstalk problem. How old
>>>and how long is your ethernet segment, and to what does
>>>it run along.
>>

>> It is a 50 ft. cable that runs along my baseboards. It's
>> about 6-7 months old. I can't remember if it is Cat5 or
>> Cat6. The only thing that runs under the baseboards with
>> it is some speaker wire. I have both XBoxes set up for
>> DMZ hosting through the router.
> hmmm.. that's about the length of my run; shouldn't be a
> problem until about 330 feet (aggregate). Is it underneath
> any carpet, perhaps next to some carpet nails that may
> have punctured it? I'd try another cable just to be sure,
> and perhaps another port on the router to rule that out as
> well. Tho, it is possible there is some crosstalk between
> the patch cable and the speaker wire. Further, I suspect
> heavier gauge would be worse. DMZ also huh? Truthfully
> I've never used a DMZ implementation (on a consumer
> router) that worked correctly. Your boxes won't work the
> standard way for Live? Or is that for your system link?

I was pretty careful laying it, but I could have punctured
it. Wouldn't that cause a problem when I run straight from
the modem as well? It's the same cable. I didn't set it up
for DMZ until I started experiencing the problem. I should
mention that it did play fine through the router for a few
months. I didn't change anything, and then one day it would
start lagging after a game or two. Now I notice the lag as
soon as I try to logon. It's a major lag. It will take 3-4
seconds for a weapon to appear after I pick it up. My
roommate's box has always run fine through the router with
the exact same settings. Oh, and I have tried switching the
ports as well. I've just chalked up to a mystery of
networking and resigned myself to going to the closet to
switch every time I want to play.

Robin wrote:
> "babanoosh" <snoopdizzel@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
>
>>Robin wrote:
>>
>>>"babanoosh" <snoopdizzel@dodgeit.com> wrote in message

>>>It is a 50 ft. cable that runs along my baseboards. It's
>>>about 6-7 months old. I can't remember if it is Cat5 or
>>>Cat6. The only thing that runs under the baseboards with
>>>it is some speaker wire. I have both XBoxes set up for
>>>DMZ hosting through the router.
>>
>>hmmm.. that's about the length of my run; shouldn't be a
>>problem until about 330 feet (aggregate). Is it underneath
>>any carpet, perhaps next to some carpet nails that may
>>have punctured it? I'd try another cable just to be sure,
>>and perhaps another port on the router to rule that out as
>>well. Tho, it is possible there is some crosstalk between
>>the patch cable and the speaker wire. Further, I suspect
>>heavier gauge would be worse. DMZ also huh? Truthfully
>>I've never used a DMZ implementation (on a consumer
>>router) that worked correctly. Your boxes won't work the
>>standard way for Live? Or is that for your system link?
>

> I was pretty careful laying it, but I could have punctured
> it. Wouldn't that cause a problem when I run straight from
> the modem as well? It's the same cable. I didn't set it up
> for DMZ until I started experiencing the problem. I should
> mention that it did play fine through the router for a few
> months. I didn't change anything, and then one day it would
> start lagging after a game or two. Now I notice the lag as
> soon as I try to logon. It's a major lag. It will take 3-4
> seconds for a weapon to appear after I pick it up. My
> roommate's box has always run fine through the router with
> the exact same settings. Oh, and I have tried switching the
> ports as well. I've just chalked up to a mystery of
> networking and resigned myself to going to the closet to
> switch every time I want to play.

well, it's safe to say you've ruled out a couple of things. Tell you
what I'd do. Take your friend's xbox (without problems right?) and
connect it to your side. If the problem goes away, it's your Xbox's
ethernet port. I have family that had to actually replace the NIC on
their board because it ceased working. BTW, what model router do you have?

> Robin wrote:
>> "babanoosh" <snoopdizzel@dodgeit.com> wrote in message

>>>hmmm.. that's about the length of my run; shouldn't be a
>>>problem until about 330 feet (aggregate). Is it
>>>underneath any carpet, perhaps next to some carpet nails
>>>that may have punctured it? I'd try another cable just to
>>>be sure, and perhaps another port on the router to rule
>>>that out as well. Tho, it is possible there is some
>>>crosstalk between the patch cable and the speaker wire.
>>>Further, I suspect heavier gauge would be worse. DMZ also
>>>huh? Truthfully I've never used a DMZ implementation (on
>>>a consumer router) that worked correctly. Your boxes
>>>won't work the standard way for Live? Or is that for your
>>>system link?
>>

>> I was pretty careful laying it, but I could have
>> punctured it. Wouldn't that cause a problem when I run
>> straight from the modem as well? It's the same cable. I
>> didn't set it up for DMZ until I started experiencing the
>> problem. I should mention that it did play fine through
>> the router for a few months. I didn't change anything,
>> and then one day it would start lagging after a game or
>> two. Now I notice the lag as soon as I try to logon.
>> It's a major lag. It will take 3-4 seconds for a weapon
>> to appear after I pick it up. My roommate's box has
>> always run fine through the router with the exact same
>> settings. Oh, and I have tried switching the ports as
>> well. I've just chalked up to a mystery of networking
>> and resigned myself to going to the closet to switch
>> every time I want to play.
> well, it's safe to say you've ruled out a couple of
> things. Tell you what I'd do. Take your friend's xbox
> (without problems right?) and connect it to your side. If
> the problem goes away, it's your Xbox's ethernet port. I
> have family that had to actually replace the NIC on their
> board because it ceased working. BTW, what model router do
> you have?

Linksys BEFW11S4. I've tried updating the firmware too.

Robin wrote:
> "babanoosh" <snoopdizzel@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
>
>>Robin wrote:
>>
>>>"babanoosh" <snoopdizzel@dodgeit.com> wrote in message

>>>I was pretty careful laying it, but I could have
>>>punctured it. Wouldn't that cause a problem when I run
>>>straight from the modem as well? It's the same cable. I
>>>didn't set it up for DMZ until I started experiencing the
>>>problem. I should mention that it did play fine through
>>>the router for a few months. I didn't change anything,
>>>and then one day it would start lagging after a game or
>>>two. Now I notice the lag as soon as I try to logon.
>>>It's a major lag. It will take 3-4 seconds for a weapon
>>>to appear after I pick it up. My roommate's box has
>>>always run fine through the router with the exact same
>>>settings. Oh, and I have tried switching the ports as
>>>well. I've just chalked up to a mystery of networking
>>>and resigned myself to going to the closet to switch
>>>every time I want to play.
>>
>>well, it's safe to say you've ruled out a couple of
>>things. Tell you what I'd do. Take your friend's xbox
>>(without problems right?) and connect it to your side. If
>>the problem goes away, it's your Xbox's ethernet port. I
>>have family that had to actually replace the NIC on their
>>board because it ceased working. BTW, what model router do
>>you have?
>

> Linksys BEFW11S4. I've tried updating the firmware too.

Try flipping the xboxes around and see what happens, I really think it
might be the box network interface.

> Robin wrote:
>> "babanoosh" <snoopdizzel@dodgeit.com> wrote in message

>>>well, it's safe to say you've ruled out a couple of
>>>things. Tell you what I'd do. Take your friend's xbox
>>>(without problems right?) and connect it to your side. If
>>>the problem goes away, it's your Xbox's ethernet port. I
>>>have family that had to actually replace the NIC on their
>>>board because it ceased working. BTW, what model router
>>>do you have?
>>

>> Linksys BEFW11S4. I've tried updating the firmware too.
> Try flipping the xboxes around and see what happens, I
> really think it might be the box network interface.

I'll try it this evening when I get home from work.