Playstation 2 jerky playback

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvdr,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Has anybody else here noticed jerky playback of homebrew DVDs on
Playstation 2 systems?

My discs seem to play fine on any DVD player except a friend's
Playstation 2. The playback is jerky. When I played the disc back in
slow motion, it is clear that there is some sort of playback rate problem.

The disc is 29.97, but it appears that the PS2 sees it as 23.97. When
playing in slow motion, it goes:
12 normal frames, skip 3 frames, repeat.

The result of this is that twice every second the video has a very short
pause.

Has anybody else noticed such a problem? I'm using Vegas (Mainconcept
MPEG2 encoder) to create the video.

-WD

Gman

In article <MrVvc.21675$DG4.2866@fe2.columbus.rr.com>, Will Dormann <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
>Has anybody else here noticed jerky playback of homebrew DVDs on
>Playstation 2 systems?
>
>My discs seem to play fine on any DVD player except a friend's
>Playstation 2. The playback is jerky. When I played the disc back in
>slow motion, it is clear that there is some sort of playback rate problem.
>
>The disc is 29.97, but it appears that the PS2 sees it as 23.97. When
>playing in slow motion, it goes:
>12 normal frames, skip 3 frames, repeat.
>
>The result of this is that twice every second the video has a very short
>pause.
>
>Has anybody else noticed such a problem? I'm using Vegas (Mainconcept
>MPEG2 encoder) to create the video.
>

>-WD
Is your friends PS2 an imported unit? Or has it been modchipped? Could be
trying to play back in PAL mode.

GMAN wrote:

> Is your friends PS2 an imported unit? Or has it been modchipped? Could be
> trying to play back in PAL mode.

No, no, and no. :)

Thanks for the advice, though. I'm in the process of testing out a
different MPEG2 encoder to see how that fares...

-WD

Will Dormann wrote:

> Has anybody else here noticed jerky playback of homebrew DVDs on
> Playstation 2 systems?
>
> My discs seem to play fine on any DVD player except a friend's
> Playstation 2. The playback is jerky. When I played the disc back in
> slow motion, it is clear that there is some sort of playback rate problem.
>
> The disc is 29.97, but it appears that the PS2 sees it as 23.97. When
> playing in slow motion, it goes:
> 12 normal frames, skip 3 frames, repeat.

I made a test disc with DVD-Lab, and all videos exhibit the same problem:
TMPGEnc - No Audio
TMPGEnc - Bottom Field First - No Audio
Vegas 4
Vegas 4 - No Audio
Direct MPEG2 capture from Hauppauge PVR-250
Hauppauge Capture, edited by Womble MPEG VCR
Vegas 4 - No VirtualDub (Opened recording from PVR-250 directly)

It would appear that the issue is somehow with DVD-Lab?
Anybody else here use DVD-Lab and successfully play a disc on a PS2?

-WD

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 14:29:29 GMT, Will Dormann
<wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

>Will Dormann wrote:
>
>> Has anybody else here noticed jerky playback of homebrew DVDs on
>> Playstation 2 systems?
>>
>> My discs seem to play fine on any DVD player except a friend's
>> Playstation 2. The playback is jerky. When I played the disc back in
>> slow motion, it is clear that there is some sort of playback rate problem.
>>
>> The disc is 29.97, but it appears that the PS2 sees it as 23.97. When
>> playing in slow motion, it goes:
>> 12 normal frames, skip 3 frames, repeat.
>

>I made a test disc with DVD-Lab, and all videos exhibit the same problem:
>TMPGEnc - No Audio
>TMPGEnc - Bottom Field First - No Audio
>Vegas 4
>Vegas 4 - No Audio
>Direct MPEG2 capture from Hauppauge PVR-250
>Hauppauge Capture, edited by Womble MPEG VCR
>Vegas 4 - No VirtualDub (Opened recording from PVR-250 directly)
>

>It would appear that the issue is somehow with DVD-Lab?
>Anybody else here use DVD-Lab and successfully play a disc on a PS2?
>

>-WD
I beleive if you check DVDhelp{ I beleive this is the name} you will
find PS has a 75% chance of playing homebrew DVD's correctly.

Don Murphy

Will Dormann wrote:

> Has anybody else here noticed jerky playback of homebrew DVDs on
> Playstation 2 systems?
>
> My discs seem to play fine on any DVD player except a friend's
> Playstation 2. The playback is jerky. When I played the disc back in
> slow motion, it is clear that there is some sort of playback rate problem.
>
> The disc is 29.97, but it appears that the PS2 sees it as 23.97. When
> playing in slow motion, it goes:
> 12 normal frames, skip 3 frames, repeat.

For what it's worth, I've discovered that this problem is limited to
DVD-Lab 1.3 (and probably earlier). The 1.4 beta versions do not have
the problem. Smooth as silk.

-WD