Playstation 4 crashing internet for whole house upon connection

Mahone joe 2

Commendable
Apr 13, 2016
I'm posting this in every forum I know that has anything to do with either playstation or internet networking, so apologies if this is irrelevent, but I have nowhere to turn to but the internet right now.

Alright, I've contacted sony twice and my ISP (AT&T) once so I really need any help I can get. This is a long, complex issue and I really need some help because I don't know who to turn to for help any more. I'll break it down in to paragraphs to make it easier to read.

About my ps4: it's hard wired, have had it for almost 2 years now with no errors whatsoever.

This all started last saturday around 5 PM. I was enjoying a match in Call of Duty Blacks Ops 3 when all of the sudden my internet cuts out, not just for the ps4, but for the whole house. Keep in mind this happens when I try it hard wired or wirelessly. I switch to my ps3 for a while and the internet comes back on soon enough, with the ps3 online.

To make a long story short, after a very frustrating day, I noticed that each and every time I turned on my ps4, everything would be fine for a few moments until it tried to establish an internet connection, which would result in internet for everything in the house, hard wired or connected wirelessly, would just crap out and refuse to connect. After a while I realize that after about 5 minutes, even with the playstation 4 on, everything would be back to normal as if nothing had happened, and the ps4 would connect and play games just fine. Note that our tv boxes all require internet to run, and not having that shuts off both the internet and cable for my other 3 family members, which makes them very mad at me for trying.

So I contacted sony for the first time with their chat feature, in which the kind lady advised me to check on my router (I can't do that, will explain under) and run a connection test on my ps4. Since I had it turned off at this time, that would mean "resetting" my internet which would subsequently terminate our conversation. She told me she understood and advised me to contact my ISP, which I did the next day.

(I'm 17 and have no legal access to our AT&T account information, also the router is in my parents bedroom which they keep locked 24/7. Since they both work all week, the most convienent time to convince them to let me look at it would be on a weekend.)

A technician from ATT came out and was skeptical about it being a problem on their end, however he did replace our router and a few other pieces of equipment. The problem kept happening. This was just yesterday.

Today I contacted sony again, in which I got a person who was just as confused as the prior ATT technician and sony associate I reached out to. He at first thought it may have been a power issue, but that can't be as I tried many different outlets with the same results, also being that I have my ps3 plugged into the same outlet as I normally have my ps4 plugged in to and it runs fine with wifi on. He recommended that I initialize my ps4 from safe mode, which I did.

Here's where it gets even more confusing, pay extra careful attention.

After it rebooted and I got my account settled back in, I was delighted to see that on 3 separate test runs in which I turned it off, left it off, and turned it back on, the internet was fine for the whole house and for my ps4. I enjoyed playing it for a couple of hours until I put it in rest mode to charge the controller. Upon returning about 30 minutes later, to my horror, it began the issue again, however even worse now.

Now, when the ps4 is on, it not only shuts off the internet for the entire house again, but it also refuses to connect or let anything else connect until I turn it off again. Before this, it would just seemingly "reset" the internet and began working normally again several minutes later, but now it will crash the internet until it's turned back off. I've since unplugged it since at this point it's almost completely useless and irritates my family so.

I have absolutely no idea what's going on, I've contacted sony, att, searched it a million times on google, and I seem to be the only one so far whose had this issue. I can't use my ps4 without upsetting my family with the internet, so at this point I'm just going to leave it alone until I find a cure for its problem.

However, my parents really don't care how much this stresses me out, because they're not too concerned about what I do for fun. I don't have much of a social life (homeschooled) and I use my ps4 to relax and unwind and talk with my friends after a hard day of school work. They have absolutely no motivation to help me since they know as long as I don't use my ps4, everything will be okay for them. This makes it extremely hard to get ATT out here again, as my mother has the account in her name and they can't legally put it a visit ticket on my word alone. It's going on 5 days now and I really just want to get back online with my pals. So I'm turning to you internet people to hopefully help me out a bit, even if you're just here to call me a **bleep**, just any advice you think might help. I'm pretty desperate at this point.

Things to note:

-changed router, issue still occured
-PS4 was working fine with the exact same network conditions and equipment for half a year
-PS4 has been working fine for 2 years straight
-PS3 works fine being plugged in to the same power outlet as 4 and works online with wifi well
-limited access to the router, but will still note any advice and try to act on it
-really really stressed out after 4 days of extremely limited access to my ps4 and just really want to get back gaming

Solution
try having a friend bring his ps4 over and use it in place of yours. If that doesn't crash the network then the problem is your ps4 IMO.