PlayStation 4 Price Mistakenly Leaked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamoniac

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
250GB of HDD? Where can you get one of those tiny HDD these days? I can't even find them at the store. Sony either has to pay extra for such antique, or has a ton of these in their warehouse...
And we all know when HDD fills up 70% or more, the inner portion of the platters causes performance to plummet drastically.

nevilence

Distinguished
May 8, 2012
I think that ps4 preview was bloody rubbish, it could of been any random black box blurred out. and with all the rumours flying around for xbox and ps4, beleive nothing until either sony or microsoft say something

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
Sorry guys, that's not gonna happen. Even a PS3s with 500GB HD SRP right now is $250. That's not gonna happen. Even the Wii U sells at $400, and you know what is it's internal storage......

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
A leak that happened shortly after the PS4's unveiling said $429 for the base model and $529 for the premium model, though no hard drive sizes were specified in that leak. I seriously doubt that even the base model will have a 250 GB drive, Sony themselves said to expect a considerable hard drive size, considerable doesn't sound like the same size used in the latest PS3 models. I think the base model will have a 500 GB drive and the premium model will have a 1TB drive, afterall, 1 TB doesn't cost that much more than 250 GB nowadays.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012

399 euros is $514 dollars, though the price would likely be less than that in the US due to the markup in other countries. That price doesn't seem that far-fetched to me, maybe even a bit high. The PS3 is likely being sold that high to try and make up some losses from earlier, when the expense of the Cell CPU and the blu-ray drive had Sony selling at a big loss. Rumor has it that the PS3 will be dropping to $150 for the base model and $200 for the premium model when the PS4 launches. The Wii U costs $300 for the base model, not $400, and nearly $100 of that is said to be due to the cost of the tablet controller, and most are saying that Nintendo needs to drop the price, though they are still sticking with launch prices despite slow sales.

A little over $500 sounds about right. People have to keep in mind that this isn't some kind of specialized hardware like the cell processor in the PS3. This is tweaked next generation stuff from AMD's trinity line of processors. Basically designed concurrently with trinity CPU's.
Being an ALL-in-ONe CPU/GPU saves a ton of money. When you price a motherboard, CPU/GPU combo, RAM, HDD, and the cost of packaging. A comparable desktop PC costs about the same. I would expect the PS4 to eventually cost less since it'll be sold in bulk and all components purchased in mass quantity.

TheMadFapper

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
That better be an SSD. With each game one of the things I hate is excess loading times. Consoles take forever to load games and area transitions.

djtronika

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Seriously, you guys act like this is a custom built PC you're buying off of newegg. Sony has to keep costs down this time. They even said they wanted to actually make profit off of the hardware this time around compared to the PS3.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
its because people will look at it and see 250 gigs, they will compare that to what they know, tablets/smartphones with 8-32 gigs and say "wow look at how much storage space" for power users though, unless they do work to circumvent it then it should be easy to copy to clone the old drive to a enw larger drive and as it appears to be regular pc hardware it will likely just recognise the new larger (possibly faster) hdd/ssd.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
There will probably be a higher tiered system with a larger drive. As long as it is easy for the user to replace I don't care. They charge too much for hard drives as it is (usually it is $100 more to go up to the next size). The 250GB was probably bought in bulk. Not sure how many years ago though... The laptops we are buying at work come with a minimum 320-500.

tadej petric

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Price of 250Gb SSD in our stores - Samsung 840 TLC Basic 250 GB (cheapest 250 Gb one) - 173,46 €
And to put 8 core CPU with 7850 eq graphics its about 400€
And I didnt include mobo, case, cooling, blu-ray... Its more € or this is HDD (which shouldnt be 250Gb but more like 750Gb).
Price will be about 500€ (and about the same $/pounds)

You guys are all idiots.
The only benefit to having an SSD in a console is faster game loading time. If it is not the price being to expensive thahits the fact it is not using an SSD.
399 Euros for a system is an excellent price with a standard a hard drive. They drive may also be a hybrid drive. Who knows..

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
An article discussing price, Tom's readers go in depth on the hard drive. I'll humor it, since it's an x86 platform it would probably be easier to swap drives since the interface may not be as different from PC hardware as it was with previous consoles. Put in a 250GB HD (which would be cheaper for them buying direct than it is to you buying retail) and leave it as an accessible bay to swap for something larger at the user's expense. The question is whether the console gamer (NOT PC gamer) is willing to spend $500+ on a console at this point and time. The PS3's high price was too much for many to swallow for the first year, and many who did did it not for the console, but for the Blu Ray drive. The hardware inside does not mattter to console consumers, they just want it to work and want to know what it does to change their playing. The PS4 supposedly will be able to play 4k video, but I don't find it as appealing as the DVD/BR drives of the past generation were. The only platform for 4k ATM is download/streamiing, which can't be pleasant on bandwidth for US consumers. 4k TVs will still be pricy for several more years, and I don't think the average user is interested in buying another new TV anytime soon.

tadej petric

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

Thing is that nobudy sells 250Gb HDDs. And gaming machine shouldnt have just 250Gb. Not to mention that it becomes sluggish after its got too much data which would mean 175 normal use. I call that not enough.
And that excellent price is why we think its fake.

signothorn

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
German site alleges, GameRanx refers to another site as a source and there are no screenshots anywhere and Toms decides to post this unsubstantiated rumor. Why?

No...
250GB is not make sense as Sony clearly stated the drive was "huge" or "massive" (forget the exact word).
2.5" HDD's are currently 500GB per platter so it would be 500GB or 1TB, but a 500GB model makes the most sense.
An SSD makes no sense at all due to the cost.
As for PERFORMANCE, keep in mind that properly designed games will pre-buffer to the 8GB of shared GDDR5 so the HDD performance will have minimal impact. (I read an interesting article about how Witcher 3 on the PS4 will pre-buffer as much as possible of the open-world to that 8GB so HDD access will be minimal.)
Even SAVE GAMES should buffer to the shared memory now that there's plenty and then save to the HDD and/or online via low priority so stuttering doesn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.