PlayStation 4 Scores High On Repairability Scale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 22, 2013
I don't know why it comes as such as surprise every time I point out to people that the PS3 also had a user-replaceable drive that didn't require a proprietary replacement like the 360. I've actually had to show people how-to videos to prove this.

Nice to see Sony has taken a similar approach on this system. Can't wait to see all of the things welded, riveted and soldered together in the Xbone.

InvalidError

Titan

Well, while the PS4 can be pulled apart relatively easily, nearly everything important is integrated on a single PCB so there isn't much to repair anyhow unless you are "lucky enough" to blow the PSU, optical drive or fan.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Taking them (PS3) apart was relatively simple. They even used Phillips head screws for the most part instead of just star head screws you often see. The 360 wasn't exceptionally more difficult to take apart, but was noticeably so. Not a big deal right now with regard to the PS4 and XBOne. Should take full advantage of the warranty while it's still good.

anhxeom

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
The first version of any console are usually huge, so it's not a surprise how easy they are to take apart. Wait until the 2nd or 3rd revision when they are shrink, that's when things gets a little interesting.

Sep 22, 2013
I'm not sure what the concern over star hex screws is. Harley has used these for a long time on American-made motorcycles. You can buy a set of star bits at Walmart for about $5.

The primary reason these are used is that power tools (and assembly machines) have a lot more torque than you would with a screw driver. Having more contact points avoids stripping out the screw head. I'd rather have block top star or Allen heads any day.

bmwman91

Honorable
May 19, 2013
Yeah, Torx and Torx+ screws allow much greater torque to be applied, and a higher level of control over that torque than Phillips heads. Torx drivers and bits are dirt cheap and come with almost any kit these days. Heck, I have even switched to wood / construction screws that use T20 Torx heads for framing and lumber projects around the house because they are so much easier to drive than Phillips heads. You don't have to push harder to get higher torque with them, which is pretty helpful when you are on a ladder. They also don't wear out the bits as fast as Phillips heads. Anyway, in an electronics factory environment I bet that Torx heads lead to better repeatability, less frequent replacement of bits and less chance of metal shavings since you are less likely to strip a screw head. Looks like Sony is managing fine with the Phillips screws though.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
"PlayStation 4 Scores High On Repairability Scale" Scores great on mine since I won't be buying some pile of junk console they've held back PC's for how many years as it is?

DrBackwater

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
I give credit to amd for making the consoles compact, but having a compact console doesn't mean its better.(Nor does it mean having a dog drag a heavy bone around attached with a mounted camera on top.)
But repairing these consoles would be easier as it is repairing a android phone.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Can someone wire in a thermal probe at the base of the heatsink?

Would love to know the normal running temperature to see how much headroom the cooling has (will help give an idea of if it will run into cooling issues when it begins to get dust buildup.)

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

It has 8GB GDDR5 total. Each of the 16 chips is 4Gb (512MB), 16 x 512MB = 8GB, which runs over a 256-bit bus. Apparently in addition to this the PS4 also has a single 2Gb (256MB) DDR3 chip, which I wasn't aware of. I'm not sure what it's used for, but whatever it is it doesn't need a whole lot of bandwidth. Perhaps it's dedicated to the OS?

Sep 30, 2013
dragonsqrrl: So why you say 8 GB in total when it's obviously 14 GB?

If I had a guess it could had been 2 GB DDR for the network processor, 8 GB GDR for the APU and another 4 GB GDR especially for the graphics part of the APU. At first.

But I guess it could rather be 8 GB GDR + 4 GB GDR for both the processors (APU + network chip) and 2 GB DDR used for caching maybe.

But guesses are pretty worthless. Would be more interesting to know. And how much is different if one compare the claimed to be network chip vs the regular APU. (Someone says two GPUs, are there possibly one on each chip and that the CPU part of the second APU just isn't used as much / lower clocked?)

InvalidError

Titan

The 2Gb DDR3 chip is for the secondary CPU/"network processor" on the back side of the mainboard. I'm guessing it does things like check for updates, notifications and other stuff like that without powering up the rest of the console.

Sep 22, 2013

This article has some pretty offensive language that I won't repeat here. I think there's probably a more appropriate example you could give.

You could also link to the secure torx tools, which are just as easy to get:

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=security+torx

http://www.amazon.com/Torx-Driver-Security-T-10-T-40/dp/B0002SPLQ8

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-6-Piece-Security-Torx-Bit-Set-CC60391/203688817

Instead, you linked to a sight with anti-semitic remarks blaming a group of people for some conspiracy with tools.

hiryu

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
There is an error (or confusion?) on the total amount of RAM in this article
There are only 8GB of Samsung K4G41325FC-HC03 (4GB on each side) and 2GB DDR3

InvalidError

Titan

The "Network Processor" chip has a single 2Gbits (256MB) DRAM chip attached to it.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

Ummm... honestly not following anything you wrote here. How is it obviously 14GB? A lot of people here don't seem to understand the difference between a GB and a Gb, mixing them up and using them interchangeably. 1B = 8b. There are 16 GDDR5 chips (8 on each side of the mobo) that run over a 256-bit bus. Each of those 16 chips is 4Gb or 512MB for a total of 8GB. And like InvalidError said, it's 256MB of DDR3, not 2GB.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.