PlayStation 4 to Be Ridiculously Expensive in Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.

daekar

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Jesus... if those are because of fees and taxes, those people need to be changing their governments. That's ridiculous.

Blues_wolf

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
I'm from Argentina, worst part is, we'll still buy it, even if a normal salary is around 750 dollars.
Fees and taxes have always been like that, and we bought the PS2 and PS3...
And about going to the states, that's difficult, as since a couple of years ago we're not allowed to exchange our currency for us dollars, and also get a 25% tax over credit card usage outside our country.
I guess that's why there's so much piracy here and market doesn't seem apealing for videogame companies.
Still, Argentineans are capable of not eating for a couple of months in order to get the latest technology ( so don't know about Brazileans, but I'm sure people here will still buy it.

Caio

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
I am from Brasil and mostly everything Blues_wolf said applies here as well. As daekar said, we do need to change the governments, but there is nothing better available for us to change to.

But Sony said this ridiculously high price is only because if taxes and fees? That's a lie. It's a fact that taxes here are absurdly high, but it's not nearly as high as it needed to be for the PS4 to cost that much. That's pure greed on Sony's part - they know people here will finance the payment in 24 months if possible just so they have a PS4...

So what you're saying is that there's soon going to be a very healthy black market for PS4's. :p

Robert King

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
they would be stupid to buy that at that price . there better geting a new car or a computer lol or take a trip to the usa and buy one directly

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Meh... You see weird things happening in the developing world. Political systems are not stable enough so every now and again you get gung-ho administrations with skewed ideals and it inevitably leads to issues where they tinker around with things like import duties and taxes to make some extra cash.

Heck in my country they just raised the import duties on chicken from somewhere around 20% to about 85%. And they say this and that, but everybody know's its because they need cash to cover their ridiculous policies.

marck1001

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
I know thinigs are insanely expensive in Brazil due to high taxes and other stuff, but wtf, this is an extortion. Well, I just checked the Xbone price in Brazil and it will be half of the PS4 - and it's still expensive, I know, but come on, HALF of the PS4, so let's not just blame on the government.

So my suggestion for the Brazilians is: if you're not a PS4 fanboy or if you love your pocket more than you love Sony, boycott Sony and get a half priced Xbone. Deal.

Source: http://www.submarino.com.br/produto/113910676/console-xbox-one-500-gb-com-leitor-blu-ray-novo-controle-wireless-novo-sensor-kinect-edicao-limitada-para-pre-venda?WT.mc_id=Destextra&WT.mc_ev=click&chave=homesub_destaque_extra

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
don't blame this one on sony blame it on your countries import fees and taxes and if you think the ps4 will cost a pretty penny wait until you see what the xbox one will be going for down there!

marck1001

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
SteelCity, xbone will cost half of the ps4 price in Brazil. So yeah blame it on Sony, at least partially. Both ps4 and Xbox are abysmally taxed in Brazil. I care less btw. But in this case MS will love to see ps4 fanboys going to Xbox one.

marck1001

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
I don't wanna blame on Sony, really, but it's hard on this case.

PS4 - 3,999 Brazilian Real
Xbox One Limited Release - 1.979,10 Brazilian Real

I honestly hope this is a mistaken news or else Sony one major less point for you - the potential next generation gamers in a 200 million population country will stick with Xbox (if they are smart).

Rafael Alves

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013
I´m Brazilian and the only think I can say is that a lot of PS4s bought in the US and Europe will never see a game in American or European soil.
The PS4 black market will be big, really big.

skrlet17

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
I'm from Brazil. And, sincerely, I'm not even a bit proud of my country. Really! For every USD you pay on a console like PS4 or Xbox One, we'd pay about three times its cost. This is so lame! I'd rather go for US and buy all I ever wanted and be happy!

Stevemeister

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
Industrial equipment import taxes and duties in Brazil are very high - typically around 17-30% but shouldn't be so high as to increase the cost of something by 4-5 times (someone somewhere is trying to kill a fat hog). Payroll taxes are about 95% which means for every $ you pay the employee, it costs the employer $2. How the country will survive in the current global economy I don't know.

geok1ng

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
Sony is blaming taxes, but no amount of taxes can possibly justify charging twice as much as Microsoft is charging for the Xbone. This is Sony being greed. PS3 at launch here selled for half the price they are asking for the PS4.

milk_inc

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
I bet here in Uruguay will be more expensive, is amzing here how expensive are the games a ps3 game like gta v cost like 150 or 180 dls. Just the game not a bundle or special edition

Spielwurfel

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
I never comment in these articles, but as a Brazilian I must express that this price set to PS4 here is totally ridiculous. This isn't about taxes and lower consumer base. Taxes for electronic products are between 40% and 50%. You can buy a 650 USD unlocked iPhone (that it's already very expensive here) for about 1.000 USD in Brazil. Why would a PS4 cost 1850 USD in here? Pure exploitation from the customers!

Status
Not open for further replies.