News PlayStation 5 Doesn't Support 1440p Resolution or Running PS5 Games Off a USB Drive

InvalidError

Titan
I don't see why anyone should be surprised that a gaming console intended for living room entertainment won't support a bastard in-between resolution that exists in practically no living room whatsoever. It was the same thing in the run-up to 1080p: once 1080p became available at almost the same price as lower in-between resolution, practically all of the in-between resolutions went extinct from store shelves.

1440p was nothing more than a temporary nugget for enthusiasts. Normal people who are the bulk of the console audience are jumping straight from 1080p to 4k.

saunupe1911

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2016
I don't see why anyone should be surprised that a gaming console intended for living room entertainment won't support a bastard in-between resolution that exists in practically no living room whatsoever. It was the same thing in the run-up to 1080p: once 1080p became available at almost the same price as lower in-between resolution, practically all of the in-between resolutions went extinct from store shelves.

1440p was nothing more than a temporary nugget for enthusiasts. Normal people who are the bulk of the console audience are jumping straight from 1080p to 4k.

This is 100% not true. 1440p are now THE most common monitors in use! 1440p targeted GPUs are some of the best selling GPUs in the game. There's no excuse for lack of 1440p support. None!

InvalidError

Titan
This is 100% not true. 1440p are now THE most common monitors in use! 1440p targeted GPUs are some of the best selling GPUs in the game. There's no excuse for lack of 1440p support. None!
You wrote it yourself: MONITOR.

Normal people install their CONSOLES in their living room where they are typically hooked up to TVs. How many 1440p TVs are out there? Practically none, so it makes very little sense to bother with an oddball in-between resolution.

Also, 1080p is still 66% of people's primary monitor resolution vs 7% for 1440p on the Steam survey.

Blacksad999

Reputable
Jun 28, 2020
Kind of odd to exclude it, as it wouldn't have taken all that much effort to implement it. I spent $1000 on a great 1440p Ultrawide monitor, and rarely use my TV for pretty much anything.

InvalidError

Titan
Kind of odd to exclude it, as it wouldn't have taken all that much effort to implement it.
It is one more resolution that game developers have to tweak the game for to guarantee that it performs as expected under all circumstances since consoles don't give players much control over graphics beyond output resolution and refresh rate. On PC where there are nearly as many different component combinations as there are people out there, the responsibility to decide what resolution and details may need to be sacrificed to achieve whatever each player's acceptable performance and detail levels are is left to the players themselves since it is would be impossible for developers to do it for them.

I can easily see why Sony may have no interest in bothering with in-between resolutions.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
this is dumb. they'll probably patch it in.

yeah, only about 5% of people will connect their console to their monitor, but this is a really, really stupid oversight. 5% isn't anything to scoff at.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Kind of odd to exclude it, as it wouldn't have taken all that much effort to implement it. I spent $1000 on a great 1440p Ultrawide monitor, and rarely use my TV for pretty much anything.
Wait, 1440p ultrawide? That's 3440x1440. Aspect ratio of about 21:9

1440p is 2560x1440, and thus has an aspect ratio of 16:9 (as are TVs in general as far as I'm aware).

Do any consoles support ultrawide?

saunupe1911

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2016
You wrote it yourself: MONITOR.

Normal people install their CONSOLES in their living room where they are typically hooked up to TVs. How many 1440p TVs are out there? Practically none, so it makes very little sense to bother with an oddball in-between resolution.

Also, 1080p is still 66% of people's primary monitor resolution vs 7% for 1440p on the Steam survey.

Almost all 2020 TCL, Samsung, Vizio, Sony, and LG TVs support 1440p 60z and in some cases 1440p 120hz. A ton of companies included 1440p in preparation for the consoles...even the TCL that have HDMI 2.0!

Man you really need to go back and do your research. Use Rtings.com as a quick reference.

Blacksad999

Reputable
Jun 28, 2020
It is one more resolution that game developers have to tweak the game for to guarantee that it performs as expected under all circumstances since consoles don't give players much control over graphics beyond output resolution and refresh rate. On PC where there are nearly as many different component combinations as there are people out there, the responsibility to decide what resolution and details may need to be sacrificed to achieve whatever each player's acceptable performance and detail levels are is left to the players themselves since it is would be impossible for developers to do it for them.

I can easily see why Sony may have no interest in bothering with in-between resolutions.

Considering pretty much everything on the PS5 will be ported to PC, aside from the obvious Sony Exclusives, most developers are already implementing this resolution anyway when making the game.

InvalidError

Titan
Almost all 2020 TCL, Samsung, Vizio, Sony, and LG TVs support 1440p 60z and in some cases 1440p 120hz. A ton of companies included 1440p in preparation for the consoles...even the TCL that have HDMI 2.0!

Man you really need to go back and do your research. Use Rtings.com as a quick reference.
Supporting 1440p input does not make the TVs 1440p and feeding 1440p to a 4k TV means the TV has to re-scale input, which introduces extra latency and likely worse artifacts than the console's own 4k upscaling.

Reactions: panathas

Blacksad999

Reputable
Jun 28, 2020
Wait, 1440p ultrawide? That's 3440x1440. Aspect ratio of about 21:9

1440p is 2560x1440, and thus has an aspect ratio of 16:9 (as are TVs in general as far as I'm aware).

Do any consoles support ultrawide?

Yeah, 3440x1440. I haven't owned a console since PS2, so I'm not sure if they support Ultrawide. Most games do on PC, and considering most console games are released for PC anyway, I wouldn't see why not.

jepeman

Prominent
Oct 31, 2020

Don't the so called 4k games actually run natively at 1440p and upscaled to 4k, or are they upscaled from an even lower resolution?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yeah, 3440x1440. I haven't owned a console since PS2, so I'm not sure if they support Ultrawide. Most games do on PC, and considering most console games are released for PC anyway, I wouldn't see why not.
That would've been my thought as well, but, if I were to guess now, consoles might have particular optimizations, and maybe some of that depends on always assuming a 16:9 aspect ratio?

I'm just pulling that out of the air, though. I couldn't tell you with any sort of certainty.

Nov 9, 2020
Does anyone here understand why the article would state TWICE that the digital edition is somehow going to run out of space faster than the disc edition?

All games are going to need to be installed to SSD whether from disc or download. I can't even recall any PS4 games that actually ran off the disc except to verify copy protection.

Does anyone here understand why the article would state TWICE that the digital edition is somehow going to run out of space faster than the disc edition?

All games are going to need to be installed to SSD whether from disc or download. I can't even recall any PS4 games that actually ran off the disc except to verify copy protection.
I think they may be referring to the ease of reinstallation. If you can reinstall a game without having to wait an hour or more for it to redownload before you can start playing, then you are more likely to do so, particularly for those on somewhat slower connections.

I haven't owned a console since PS2, so I'm not sure if they support Ultrawide. Most games do on PC, and considering most console games are released for PC anyway, I wouldn't see why not.
For PC games, you typically get a lot of graphics settings to configure the visuals and performance to your liking. With consoles, they have traditionally focused on optimizing games for a single, fixed set of graphics setting that the user has little to no control over. So the game would typically be rendered at the same internal resolution and settings, with the final output being scaled to whatever the screen resolution is. Ultrawide resolutions, if properly implemented, will display a larger horizontal field of view though, so developers would have to go through and optimize the game for a somewhat different set of performance characteristics. Recently, some console games have started implementing "performance" and "quality" settings for the user to choose between, for if one wants to target a 30fps or 60fps experience, for example, but ultrawide aspect ratios are uncommon enough in console setups that the developers likely don't consider them worth the development resources to optimize for.