News PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X: Console Face-Off

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
From a purely aesthetic perspective, the Xbox Series X is the clear winner here
It's not, you know why? Because aesthetics are purely subjective and everyone has their own taste and likes... that is why both should have received an X, that way it would have been a real tie 4-4. Which more closely resembles the average of reality - objectively - regarding the aestetics of these 2 consoles.

The author confounds his personal subjective likes in aestetics with objective journalism. That, or he's something worse...

It's not, you know why? Because aesthetics are purely subjective and everyone has their own taste and likes... that is why both should have received an X, that way it would have been a real tie 4-4. Which more closely resembles the average of reality - objectively - regarding the aestetics of these 2 consoles.

The author confounds his personal subjective likes in aestetics with objective journalism. That, or he's something worse...
A review by definition is a subjective piece.

From my purely aesthethic perspective, they both suck. One is a black block and the other is too flashy. I prefer the PS5 because it actually fits under my TV, while Xbox would need to be on top of the rack and cause me all sorts of side stares from the missus. A black PS5 would improve things considerably.

aisalem

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
Fully agree as that can be also added to upgradability. Right now we know that X-Box have extra dives available while Sony might have them in the future (month from now or a year?). Also no one said Sony approved SSD will be any cheaper and once available XBox might have more drives on offer. And I do prefer to use compressed air on the box than having to unplug things, grab the screwdriver, etc.
So in my view XBox definitely better in that area.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
From my purely aesthethic perspective, they both suck. One is a black block and the other is too flashy. I prefer the PS5 because it actually fits under my TV, while Xbox would need to be on top of the rack and cause me all sorts of side stares from the missus. A black PS5 would improve things considerably.

I agree the aesthetics suck for both though I find the PS5 several fold worse in appearance. As for using them in my current entertainment center for me it is the opposite. The size of the PS5 means I would at the very least have to change the shelving in my home entertainment center and run the PS5 on its' side because standing upright which is my preferred positioning, the PS5 is too tall to fit. Where as I can put an XBSX in my current setup standing upright (to lay on it's side requires re-shelving as well do to the number of consoles I run on that shelf). So I think the ease of use is going to vary greatly between users depending on the setups.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Sorry Tomshardware , but ignoring that PS5 is the only Console with VR titles and VR hardware is not acceptable ...

With PSVR and VR games already available , AND PSVR2 rumored to come soon ... I am really puzzled that you did not include this in your comparison.

Xbox has no plans what so ever to add any VR hardware to their system , nor VR games.

AstroBot :Rescue Mission on PS4/5 is one of the best VR games ever made ...

AceCombat 7 PSVR as well ...

https://www.techradar.com/news/best-playstation-vr-games-2020

How on earth Tomshardsware ignored VR altogether I have no clue.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z3qwrFFOJw

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrpfDOn64xc

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha4moWLjLt8

Spoiler alert : gameplay

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CshUDofAw4

Last edited:
Reactions: VforV

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
The more subjective that "review" is the more flawed and skewed it is. Even a review or like in this case a comparisson (even more so), can and should be as objective as possible.

There is a difference between amateur and professional journalism.

D

Deleted member 14196

I’m not worried about it because I’ll have both of them in the house

Microsoft will eventually have exclusives like Halo and Senua's Saga: Hellblade II, but Sony has a reputation for incredible games you can only play on its systems. So this category is a tie, because it all really depends what you prioritize.
Another thing to consider that wasn't mentioned here, is that Microsoft recently agreed to buy Bethesda's parent company Zenimax for $7.5 billion. So there's a high likelihood that many game series like the Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Starfield, Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein, Rage, Prey, Dishonored, and The Evil Within, among others, could become Xbox/PC exclusives. Or at least timed exclusives, for any titles that Microsoft decides to eventually open up to Sony's platform to extract more profit from. Some new games that were set to be timed PS5 exclusives like Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo will still be exclusive to the PS5 for the first year as previously agreed upon, but it's possible that any potential sequels to those titles may also become Xbox exclusives. I agree that it's still arguably a tie though, dependent on what games one prioritizes, and Sony does have a number of popular exclusive series of their own, along with a better launch lineup.

Because aesthetics are purely subjective and everyone has their own taste and likes... that is why both should have received an X, that way it would have been a real tie 4-4.
I wouldn't get too caught up on the numbers of wins in these "versus" articles, as the results usually tend to be a bit questionable. A lot of these categories are more nuanced than the wins and losses would imply, and the categories themselves often seem somewhat arbitrarily chosen. It's probably best to just treat it as an article comparing what each of the consoles has to offer.

Fully agree as that can be also added to upgradability. Right now we know that X-Box have extra dives available while Sony might have them in the future (month from now or a year?). Also no one said Sony approved SSD will be any cheaper and once available XBox might have more drives on offer. And I do prefer to use compressed air on the box than having to unplug things, grab the screwdriver, etc.
So in my view XBox definitely better in that area.
Yeah, the upgradability seems like it would be more of a tie. Both pretty much just amount to adding storage at this time, and the details of that are still rather vague in both cases. Microsoft's drives might be in a proprietary format, but that could potentially change if an adapter to use other NVMe drives eventually becomes available. Sony's solution might be a little more open, but it sounds like they will also require drives to meet certain criteria, so you will probably be spending nearly as much as with Microsoft's solution. And of course, the lower capacity of the PS4's drive will likely make upgrading a bit more necessary.

Sorry Tomshardware , but ignoring that PS5 is the only Console with VR titles and VR hardware is not acceptable ...

With PSVR and VR games already available , AND PSVR2 rumored to come soon ... I am really puzzled that you did not include this in your comparison.

Xbox has no plans what so ever to add any VR hardware to their system , nor VR games.
As I understand it, the existing PSVR is only currently supported for backward compatibility of PS4 titles, and requires an adapter for the PS4's camera to connect to the console. VR titles designed to make full use of the new console's hardware will probably not come out until the new PSVR's launch, and it's unknown whether or not they will require the new headset. In any case, the new PSVR hasn't even been announced, so I wouldn't expect it until at least late next year at the earliest.

And of course, Microsoft already has their own Windows Mixed Reality VR hardware ecosystem with much more advanced headsets from various vendors, and they could very well open up VR on their platform to counter the new PSVR. They scrapped plans to do that on the Xbox One, but that doesn't necessarily mean they won't on the new hardware. They stated last year that VR wouldn't be a "focus" of the Series X, but that doesn't necessarily mean it won't be a side feature. It would be quite simple for them to add Windows Mixed Reality support, and the Series X hardware should be capable of running VR titles rather well. So far, neither Sony or Microsoft have officially announced much about VR on their respective platforms, so there isn't really much to say about it, aside from the backward compatibility with the PS4.

Microsoft has also been acquiring studios in recent years that have done a decent amount of VR development. As mentioned above, they are now gaining the studios responsible for some of the larger "AAA" VR ports, like Skyrim VR, Doom VFR, and Fallout 4 VR. And prior studio acquisitions brought them Ninja Theory, who did Hellblade VR, along with other studios who developed VR titles. Official VR support was added to Minecraft too. So, Microsoft has a decent amount of first-party development talent that could potentially be put toward VR on their console.

Reactions: panathas

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Another thing to consider that wasn't mentioned here, is that Microsoft recently agreed to buy Bethesda's parent company Zenimax for $7.5 billion. So there's a high likelihood that many game series like the Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Starfield, Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein, Rage, Prey, Dishonored, and The Evil Within, among others, could become Xbox/PC exclusives. Or at least timed exclusives, for any titles that Microsoft decides to eventually open up to Sony's platform to extract more profit from. Some new games that were set to be timed PS5 exclusives like Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo will still be exclusive to the PS5 for the first year as previously agreed upon, but it's possible that any potential sequels to those titles may also become Xbox exclusives. I agree that it's still arguably a tie though, dependent on what games one prioritizes, and Sony does have a number of popular exclusive series of their own, along with a better launch lineup.

I wouldn't get too caught up on the numbers of wins in these "versus" articles, as the results usually tend to be a bit questionable. A lot of these categories are more nuanced than the wins and losses would imply, and the categories themselves often seem somewhat arbitrarily chosen. It's probably best to just treat it as an article comparing what each of the consoles has to offer.

Yeah, the upgradability seems like it would be more of a tie. Both pretty much just amount to adding storage at this time, and the details of that are still rather vague in both cases. Microsoft's drives might be in a proprietary format, but that could potentially change if an adapter to use other NVMe drives eventually becomes available. Sony's solution might be a little more open, but it sounds like they will also require drives to meet certain criteria, so you will probably be spending nearly as much as with Microsoft's solution. And of course, the lower capacity of the PS4's drive will likely make upgrading a bit more necessary.

As I understand it, the existing PSVR is only currently supported for backward compatibility of PS4 titles, and requires an adapter for the PS4's camera to connect to the console. VR titles designed to make full use of the new console's hardware will probably not come out until the new PSVR's launch, and it's unknown whether or not they will require the new headset. In any case, the new PSVR hasn't even been announced, so I wouldn't expect it until at least late next year at the earliest.

And of course, Microsoft already has their own Windows Mixed Reality VR hardware ecosystem with much more advanced headsets from various vendors, and they could very well open up VR on their platform to counter the new PSVR. They scrapped plans to do that on the Xbox One, but that doesn't necessarily mean they won't on the new hardware. They stated last year that VR wouldn't be a "focus" of the Series X, but that doesn't necessarily mean it won't be a side feature. It would be quite simple for them to add Windows Mixed Reality support, and the Series X hardware should be capable of running VR titles rather well. So far, neither Sony or Microsoft have officially announced much about VR on their respective platforms, so there isn't really much to say about it, aside from the backward compatibility with the PS4.

Microsoft has also been acquiring studios in recent years that have done a decent amount of VR development. As mentioned above, they are now gaining the studios responsible for some of the larger "AAA" VR ports, like Skyrim VR, Doom VFR, and Fallout 4 VR. And prior studio acquisitions brought them Ninja Theory, who did Hellblade VR, along with other studios who developed VR titles. Official VR support was added to Minecraft too. So, Microsoft has a decent amount of first-party development talent that could potentially be put toward VR on their console.

It is not that simple about Xbox VR . there are no planned VR games on Xbox . and no release date and nothing about it . no developing kits for devs , it is not the hardware alone . VR games dont exist to begin with. Developing VR exclusive games takes a year at least. and I am talking about Exclusive VR game not some existing Game with just viewing the Area using VR and the rest not really any VR gaming.

But Sony already has VR games and VR Development kit ready for YEARS ... it is already here.

it should be mentioned as a PS5 positive over Xbox series X.

It is not that simple about Xbox VR . there are no planned VR games on Xbox . and no release date and nothing about it . no developing kits for devs , it is not the hardware alone . VR games dont exist to begin with. Developing VR exclusive games takes a year at least. and I am talking about Exclusive VR game not some existing Game with just viewing the Area using VR and the rest not really any VR gaming.

But Sony already has VR games and VR Development kit ready for YEARS ... it is already here.

it should be mentioned as a PS5 positive over Xbox series X.
Again, we don't know what's in development, and we have no idea what's actually planned but not yet announced. It could be that ID might have a new Doom VFR successor based off Doom Eternal in development. Or VR integration might be planned for games like The Elder Scrolls VI or Starfield. Nothing has been announced for the Series X, but nothing has really been announced for the PS5 either, outside of backward compatibility with most VR titles designed for the PS4. The PS5 might be a somewhat safer bet for getting VR support in the future, but who knows? Maybe Sony will announce a new PSVR next year. Maybe it will take a couple years. Maybe Microsoft will announce VR support to compete with it. If Sony had already announced more about the future of PSVR, it might have made some sense to mention it, but all there is so far is rumors and speculation.

And no, there's no real need to already have an Xbox-specific VR development kit if Microsoft were to use Windows Mixed Reality headsets, or any headset with a similar control scheme to what's already on the market. Those have been available for PCs for a few years already, and for the most part, what works for one headset will typically work for all of them. All current PC headsets (and PSVR) operate in a fairly similar fashion, with the only notable differences from a development standpoint being down to details like button layouts on the motion controllers, and whether roomscale support is available. Just about any PSVR or PC VR title would take very little effort to port to the Series X, should Microsoft open up that option at some point. Most VR games run on engines that support all of these platforms, so it mainly just comes down to optimizing the title to make good use of the available hardware.

durahl

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Regarding the storage expandability I'd rather give it to the Xbox Series X because of how easily it can be done - Just pop it in/out - and how rugged it is in comparison to an M.2.

We're now living in a time where games are starting to peak in terms of capabilities and I humbly assume that the next generation of Consoles will, because of this, be quite a while down the road thus having the option to buy additional Storage for the same generation of Consoles and easily swapping them in/out will certainly be more a appreciated feature than having to pop the hood of your console open every time.

And while I have no doubt that the PS5 Haptics may be of interest I still believe that the solution Microsoft has brought to the table with the Elite Series Controllers is still a better one.
I for one couldn't/wouldn't want to play Controller favorizing games anymore without the use of my 1st and 2nd Gen Elite Controllers - Not even on my PS3 where I use a Titan2 Controller Adapter to use my Elite Controllers on.

And if the current reviews from the likes of DF have shown then Games need to be specifically be made to be able to make use the PS5s Velocity Engine - Not a single current Gen Game they tested was able to show off what Sony promised and my hunch tells me only 1st Party Games will ever do because 3rd Party developers will most likely take the path of least resistance and with neither the PC or Xbox Series X ( and Xbox One and PS4 ) having this feature loading times will, for the most part, remain a thing albeit much reduced and what is 5sec or reloading times gonna hurt you anyway... I rather sit through those and maybe recap on a Game Hint I may have missed ( where do you place them anyways these days? ) than sit through 30sec of compulsory "EA GAMES", "Powered by nVidia", "HAVOC Engine", "Powered by BING Video", etc... at every Start of a Game which, conveniently, may be a thing of the past on Xbox Series X via the Quick Resume Feature 🤩

Just my thought though...

And if the current reviews from the likes of DF have shown then Games need to be specifically be made to be able to make use the PS5s Velocity Engine - Not a single current Gen Game they tested was able to show off what Sony promised and my hunch tells me only 1st Party Games will ever do because 3rd Party developers will most likely take the path of least resistance and with neither the PC or Xbox Series X ( and Xbox One and PS4 ) having this feature loading times will, for the most part, remain a thing albeit much reduced and what is 5sec or reloading times gonna hurt you anyway...
Actually, the Series X/S and Windows will be getting something similar in the form of DirectStorage, which allows game assets to be streamed directly into graphics memory more efficiently. So, I would expect all platforms to be able to stream assets in a similar way, provided a PC has a compatible GPU and SSD. Both the Nvidia 30-series and AMD 6000-series graphics cards apparently include hardware support for this. It's hard to say how storage performance will compare between different hardware until multiplatform games supporting the feature across all platforms are out though, and that will probably take a year or more. I suspect games won't make heavy use of such a feature until they drop support for the old consoles and hard drive storage on PCs. It's possible they could make partial use of it to eliminate load times on compatible systems, while still maintaining support for systems with slower storage though.

All xbox exclusives are on PC, so the winner in terms of PC gamers?
PS5.
Unless you don't want to play any sony exclusive, and for some reason want to play on an xbox instead of your PC, which is a niche group I feel like?

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Again, we don't know what's in development, and we have no idea what's actually planned but not yet announced. It could be that ID might have a new Doom VFR successor based off Doom Eternal in development. Or VR integration might be planned for games like The Elder Scrolls VI or Starfield. Nothing has been announced for the Series X, but nothing has really been announced for the PS5 either, outside of backward compatibility with most VR titles designed for the PS4. The PS5 might be a somewhat safer bet for getting VR support in the future, but who knows? Maybe Sony will announce a new PSVR next year. Maybe it will take a couple years. Maybe Microsoft will announce VR support to compete with it. If Sony had already announced more about the future of PSVR, it might have made some sense to mention it, but all there is so far is rumors and speculation.

And no, there's no real need to already have an Xbox-specific VR development kit if Microsoft were to use Windows Mixed Reality headsets, or any headset with a similar control scheme to what's already on the market. Those have been available for PCs for a few years already, and for the most part, what works for one headset will typically work for all of them. All current PC headsets (and PSVR) operate in a fairly similar fashion, with the only notable differences from a development standpoint being down to details like button layouts on the motion controllers, and whether roomscale support is available. Just about any PSVR or PC VR title would take very little effort to port to the Series X, should Microsoft open up that option at some point. Most VR games run on engines that support all of these platforms, so it mainly just comes down to optimizing the title to make good use of the available hardware.

Did Sony say "we are discontinuing VR on PS5 " ?

No.

Then it is still here . and it continues.

as for Xbox .. even if it does not need a specific Dev kit (Which I doubt) .. there are no games in development not anything or any statement from Microsoft about anything VR in this Generation of Xbox . While Sony has it already.

now to my Original post ,

PSVR should be counted as a plus when compared against Xbox in this article.

Did Sony say "we are discontinuing VR on PS5 " ?

No.

Then it is still here . and it continues.
The existing PSVR has been out a while at this point though, and it might not be a great idea for someone to purchase one now for use on the PS5. Compared to pretty much all current PC headsets, it's significantly lower resolution, with substandard controllers and tracking, so it's due for a replacement. And there's no guarantee that future PS5 VR titles will even support the original PSVR. So while they probably wouldn't end support for VR outright, it's possible that the existing hardware might not be supported much beyond backward compatibility. So it's hard to add that as a bullet-point when they haven't yet announced their plans for VR, and there's still a lot of uncertainty surrounding it.

And again, we don't know whether Microsoft's first-party developers have VR games in development, but considering past releases from Bethesda, id Software and some of their other recently-acquired studios, I would suspect that they probably do. So the question is whether those would be limited to being PC releases, or whether Microsoft would bring them to consoles as well. I find it a bit unlikely that Microsoft would be releasing any first-party games for the PS5 that won't be coming to their own console though.

Again, like I said, the PS5 is probably a safer bet for VR gaming, but at this time, Sony has been rather vague regarding any details about it. Microsoft has been even more vague, and doesn't have an existing VR ecosystem on their consoles, but they do have experience with VR hardware and software development, and it wouldn't be hard to get existing headsets and software running on the Series X, so I certainly wouldn't count them out on that yet. If Sony releases details about their plans for VR next year, and Microsoft still hasn't said anything about it, then it can be considered a "plus" for the PS5.