PlayStation Now Coming To PC, Wireless Adapter For DualShock 4 Arrives In September For $24.99

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeatOman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Its feels like there will be Steam, Xbox, and PS on PC. Even the new Xbox controller uses Bluetooth any PC can use without a dongle.

bob hays

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
What is this? I've been using my ps4 controller wirelessly for over a year. Just use InputMapper on any pc with Bluetooth. It even let's you remap the buttons and do macros.

dstarr3

Distinguished

Except this is streaming, not a true PC port. Which means tons of input lag. And if there's any game where you want minimal input lag, it's a Souls game.

alextheblue

Distinguished

It looks about the same size as the Xbox dongle, which has been tested and has excellent performance and supports multiple controllers. My experience with various USB wireless adapters tells me there might almost be a reason for the size. But I hear what you're saying, you want an inferior connection and support for maybe one controller, got it. Sending an email to Sony right now. While we're at it I'll tell them to jack the price. Half the size, twice the price sound good?

alextheblue

Distinguished

Which is very nice but I'm glad they still offer a dedicated adapter. There's a lot of PCs out there that lack Bluetooth (desktops) or have an outdated/inferior Bluetooth module onboard. For a lot of devices Bluetooth support was just another checkbox to mark off as an afterthought, and not a priority. Plus anyone that already owns a couple of current-gen Xbox One controllers can use them without having to buy new controllers.

Another nice addition to the new XB1 controllers? The grip is improved, I've heard it's similar in feel to the Elite controllers.

Hans_8

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
"Currently, you can use the controller on a PC only if you connect it with a USB cable."
Not true, you can use bluetooth just fine. DS4Windows is a tool that helps configuring the controller.

It's not on the list at all, but I still want it there despite what you've mentioned. The input lag (depending on location of the servers) can't be too bad, or only turn-based RPGs would be suitable for play. Those alone might be worth the price of admission anyway. We'll have to see.

I used to try that OnLive game service or whatever it was called. The server was approximately 250-300 miles away. I'm pretty sure its not streaming gameplay in real time. You would download a decent chunk, and while experiencing that 'segment', you are downloading a new chunk. As long as your downloads keep ahead of your gameplay, it should be fine. The real issue would be how much compression of the textures has to take place to keep you ahead.

I played a couple 3rd person action games like Batman Arkham Asylum and some other one. The compression was horrible but there was little to no input lag that I could perceive.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

dstarr3

Distinguished

Well, really, used PS3s and games are cheap these days. If you don't have a PS3 handy, you could get one and a proper copy of Demon's Souls for the cost of, what, three months of PSNow and have a much better experience.

But this is all moot anyway since Demon's Souls isn't even on the list.

Gillerer

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013

I don't think you understand what "streaming" means. The game is running in a server farm. Your input is passed thru the Internet to the game instance, and output (audio and video) are compressed and streamed to your PC.

If it worked as you said, the game would essentially be the PS3 game ported to PC. Why not just sell the port as a standalone game and not require the streaming part? That would reduce their server requirements (and therefore costs) quite a bit.

because its cheaper than porting a game on a platform that uses a different framework and/or programming language that could end up being riddled with more bugs and performance issues than steaming it

Status
Not open for further replies.