Please advice on 1600W power supply

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hello, I am looking for a power supply of 1600W because I may run 4 1080ti or higher power GPUs. CPU has not decided but probably 7900X or Threadripper. The case is Dark Base Pro 900. An important factor is silent or almost silent as I am very sensitive to noise. Future proof is good as I may switch platform within 10 years. Could you please advice on which power supply to buy?

For 1600W PSU, Tomshardware recommened the Corsair AX1600i but most big online stores don't sell it. Know the reason?

How is this compared with the EVGA SuperNova 1600 G2 120-G"-1600-X1 80+ Gold 1600W ?
From their website, EVGA has Titanium, Platinum and Gold. Which is better? Don't know the differences except that the platinum does not have Over Temperature Protection. Is this important?

Any other suggestions? Thanks

Solution

It's around 24 dBA quieter than the EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1600W. That is a substantial difference in fan noise.

I would give the electrical performance edge to the Corsair AX1600i. It's worth getting if it's available. Are you willing to wait until they become available again?

It's around 24 dBA quieter than the EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1600W. That is a substantial difference in fan noise.

Solution

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Thanks. I will try to get it. Do you know when stores will have them in stock again?

If I need a temporary one, what PSU do you recommend for this system?
i9-7900x, 32-64GB RAM, Nvidia 1060 or 1080Ti. Don't know what cooler for the CPU yet.

Sorry. I have no idea how big their production run is or when the stock will show up.

Use at least a 750W or greater PSU if any overclocking will be attempted while using a GeForce GTX 1080 Ti.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Op has another post concerning the uses, cpu, ram and mobo. He's looking at at least a $7k setup that's currently dated but will be much larger including 4x 1080ti, probably x299 WS, Skylake-X.

Absolutely no skimping on the psu.

Either a Corsair AXi 1600 or Evga Supernova 1600 T2/P2 ($30 difference)

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Thanks for the reminder. Corsair AXi 1600 is out of stock everywhere with no definite estimated availability. For the first few months, I can use 1 1080Ti. Is it still better to get a 1600W PSU at the beginning?

If you're only using a single GeForce GTX 1080 Ti then there is no to get a 1600W PSU.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
With the AXi pretty much non-existant until miners quit pre-ordering the entire stock, the P2/T2 is about the only other unit I'd trust to a pc of that magnitude. Any others I could find were either out of stock or junk. Not even sure if they'll still be in stock for long. Miners are f***ing up everything for everybody wanting something larger than a 1080p budget build.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Almost all psus, even the cheapest junk, has overheat controls, it's called a fan. If you are talking thermal protections as part of the psu protective circuitry, in real world applications that's next to useless. If you are pushing a psu to overheat past the ability of the fan to cool, you have bigger issues. @70ish% is as much as you realistically should load a psu for continuous usage, even if built to handle 100% loads, but at a 1600w continuous load I'd not be upset at listening to a hairdryer under the pc.

You'll be pushing a 1600w psu. That's more power than most hairdryers potentially, and with 4x 1080ti and a monster cpu, quiet is a standard that doesn't apply. It's pretty much a fact that you'll not be able to hear any decent psu over the racket the cpu cooler/gpu cooler fans will make. As is, I have a Evga G2 that's just a lesser version of the same platform and I can't hear it at all. At idle I can't even tell the pc is running, have to look for the power/hdd lights. At gaming loads, the single gtx970 makes enough of a hum that the only other source of noise is the hdd.

Any tests, reviews, benchmarks you'll read that talk about noise have one thing in common. Synthetic loads. That's a machine fed load to simulate cpu loading, gpu loading, system loading etc and as such won't include such noises as case fans or cooler fans as that'd negate the point of pointing a microphone at the psu fan.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
The EVGA power supply is also very expensive, just like the Corsair. Since the are almost the same price, better get the best. Yet, they are out of stock everywhere. If initially I only use one 1060 or 1080Ti, can I use a much cheaper PSU while waiting for the Corsair one to be in stock?

For the EVGA one, sometimes I read that the Gold version of PSU is recommended but here P2 or T2 are recommended. Is this just for this specific series of PSU? Which is better P2 or T2 or Gold?

The P2 is the quietest of those three:

EVGA1600_WPSUFan_Noise.png

According to TechPowerUp's EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1600 W Review, the G2 lacks OTP (Over Temperature Protection).

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Thanks.

Just heard from Be Quiet. They said that the EVGA power supply "might be too long" for the case I bought :-(

Some companies mentioned that they continue to take orders of the Corsair 1600i but don't know about delivery. Also, they can increase the price as they like!

be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 handles a maximum PSU length of 284mm if there are no cooling fans mounted on the bottom of the case.

EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2 and P2 have a length of 225mm

EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 G2 has a length of 220mm

Vendors can charge whatever they want to charge for the Corsair AX1600i. You can even buy it from Corsair's own website if you want to. At least Corsair wouldn't be charging above MSRP.

TRENDING THREADS