[SOLVED] Please advice - Windows 7 or 10?

amalsk

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013
Hello guys!
I am not sure if this is the right section for posting this issue. If it isn’t, I apologize in advance.
I bought a new SSD for my old Toshiba Laptop since its stock HDD is about to fail, according to HD Sentinel and CrystalDiskInfo. They both say I have 176 reallocated sectors on my HDD and the drive health according to HD Sentinel is 23%.
My PC Specs are as follows: View: https://i.imgur.com/5iWwfDo.jpg

I’ve got a couple of questions if anyone can help me out in this regard:
  • Which Windows OS is suitable for my laptop right now? It currently has Windows 7 x64 and runs fine for me since I don’t open more than 5-6 tabs at a time on chrome. I would like to install Windows 10 but I’m not sure if my laptop would run it like the Windows 7. My intention is to use this laptop for at least 2-3 years for basic use if all goes well. I am also planning a Ram upgrade to a total of 8GB since it has only 3GB installed, but it might take at least a month more due to the current pandemic.
  • Will the drivers of my laptop be available on Windows 10? I heard the support for older laptops are less on Windows 10.
  • Which version is lighter for my PC, Home or Pro? Which should I go for?
  • As I mentioned earlier, is 176 bad sectors really bad for my HDD? How long do I have until it dies, to backup the data?
Thanks a ton in advance for helping me out.
Regards.

Solution
might as well give it a shot. seems like you really want win 10, so no reason to not at least try. see what windows update has for the hardware and if anything gets left out that you really need.

if it don't work, then install win 7 again and move on.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
need to know the exact laptop model to see if it even has win 10 drivers. personally i'd stick with win 7 but i know that is not the popular opinion. home version is the way to go since what is in pro is not really needed for normal users. it is intended more for those that need to log into a domain and access network features home users don't really do.

my experience has been that win 7 runs a bit lighter than win 10 with all its extra bloat. a lot of that can be removed but every update will simply put it back and some. while win 7 stays as you set it until you change it. this is good for older hardware that may not be able to handle all the extra "features" of win 10.

Reactions: amalsk

amalsk

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013
need to know the exact laptop model to see if it even has win 10 drivers. personally i'd stick with win 7 but i know that is not the popular opinion. home version is the way to go since what is in pro is not really needed for normal users. it is intended more for those that need to log into a domain and access network features home users don't really do.

my experience has been that win 7 runs a bit lighter than win 10 with all its extra bloat. a lot of that can be removed but every update will simply put it back and some. while win 7 stays as you set it until you change it. this is good for older hardware that may not be able to handle all the extra "features" of win 10.
I'm really sorry about that. It is Toshiba Satellite C660-1M0.
The product page I could find was - https://il.dynabook.com/en/discontinued-products/satellite-c660-1m0/
Also, will all softwares support Windows 10 LTSC since I heard it is much lighter than the normal Windows 10? Thus my two choices are Windows 7 or Windows 10 - Home/LTSC. What do you think I should go for?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i don't see any win 10 drivers for that laptop. it may be possible but you'd have to install it and see what happens.

personally i'd stick with win 7 unless there is something specific to win 10 you need. otherwise it's not worth it to me if you have to seek out drivers and such.

as far as win 10 LTSC, it is not lighter than regular win 10. it is an enterprise option (meaning you can't buy it for yourself) that does not update very often allowing a system to remain unchanged as much as possible. it's not any less bloated than home or pro edition.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You might want to consider cloning the current hdd onto ssd as Win 7 is going to take a while to clean install now. That is about only downside to staying on win 7 on that device, installing it again.,

With no win 10 drivers its not going to be fun, I agree with above.

3gb of ram won't help.

amalsk

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013
i don't see any win 10 drivers for that laptop. it may be possible but you'd have to install it and see what happens.

personally i'd stick with win 7 unless there is something specific to win 10 you need. otherwise it's not worth it to me if you have to seek out drivers and such.

as far as win 10 LTSC, it is not lighter than regular win 10. it is an enterprise option (meaning you can't buy it for yourself) that does not update very often allowing a system to remain unchanged as much as possible. it's not any less bloated than home or pro edition.
You're right I guess, because I couldn't find any drivers for the laptop myself. So Windows 7 is better I guess...
You might want to consider cloning the current hdd onto ssd as Win 7 is going to take a while to clean install now. That is about only downside to staying on win 7 on that device, installing it again.,

With no win 10 drivers its not going to be fun, I agree with above.

3gb of ram won't help.
Cloning the HDD wouldn't be a good idea for me because my HDD has a lot of junk and softwares which came bundled with it and I would like to start afresh and stop myself from installing softwares just for the curiosity. :D I have all the time I need due to the pandemic, so I wouldn't mind going through the whole installation process ;)

amalsk

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013

Would these work for my graphics driver - https://www.amd.com/en/support/grap...on-hd-5000-series/ati-mobility-radeon-hd-5470
There is a windows 10 version as well. Should I go with it?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
might as well give it a shot. seems like you really want win 10, so no reason to not at least try. see what windows update has for the hardware and if anything gets left out that you really need.

Solution

amalsk

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013

Thanks a ton...shall do it that way! :)