Please advise! Need help deciding upgrade/new build, opinions please!

rivet0r

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
Okay I'll try to keep this short and sweet! I'm looking for better performance in and out of games, bf3 doesnt run so hot which to me is suggesting an upgrade is in need. I need opinions on whether to just get a better GFX card, or a new build. Not just for the now, but for the future as well!

CURRENT RIG:

CPU: Q9950 OC'd @ 3.4ghz
MOBO: Asus Rampage Formula
PSU: PCP&C 750W
RAM: 8GB DDR2 800
GFX: ATI HD4870x2 (Dual core, not 2 cards)
CASE: Coolmaster HAF 932
HDD: 300GB raptor

The rest of my setup is pretty much irrelevant at this point. My question is, can I throw in a GTX580 and be good with this setup for quite some time, or should I should I honestly just fork out the cash for a new build. Again, I'm looking for the best bang for my buck in the sense of longevity, not performance. If I need to spend the money to get what I want, then I will.

POSSIBLE NEW BUILD:

CPU: i7-2600K (air cooled = plenty?)
MOBO: ASRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3
PSU: Might use current unless GFX card choice needs more, suggestions?
RAM: 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 1600
GFX: Either GTX580 for now, possible SLI down the road OR a GTX590. Suggestions here? Which will give me the longest ride/bang for the buck?
SSD: Considering one, but reading some dodgy reviews is scaring me off a bit

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated! Any better parts for the money or reliability suggested will definitely hold some weight to my decision. Will my current rig with a new card do well for some time, or should I just throw together a new rig?!

Thanks again!

your cpu is a good but outdated.i suggest an upgrade.changes in your "possibly new build"-
chang cpu to 2500k.2600k and 2500k are same in terms of gaming.sove money here.
good choice for motherboard.
if you don't sli,your psu is fine.
G.skill ripjaws X is very popular and cheap.
go with a single 580 and sli later.590 is very loud,power consumer,no value for money card IMO.it is beaten up easily by 570 sli.so go with a 580.but if you want to sli,get a 1000w PSU e.g. coolermaster silent pro 1000w etc.
a crucial m4 128 gb SSD is a sweet thing.i am using it and it is fast,cheap and reliable.
BTW your case is very good LOL!!!
all the best.

vx53c

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
also i dont know your psu. might be a hazard ready to happen. a quality 650watt for single card and 850watt for dual.
if by air cooled you mean stock cooler then no, definitely not plenty. Get aftermarket cooler. Xigmatek Aegir, Zalman X10 performa, Corsair A70 or CM hyper 212.
(order is performance/price wise)

rivet0r

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008

Thanks for the input, this is along the same lines as I was thinking! Is there a test or article you can refer me to showing that the 570's blow the 590 out of the water?

Thanks again

rivet0r

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008

I currently have a PCP&C 750W, will take care of a solo 580 just fine right now, and when I decide to SLI I can just pick up another PSU if that's the route I take. So is liquid cooling over the top for this chip?

Thanks for the input, much appreciated!

TRENDING THREADS