Please answer my AMD processor questions

chrisojeda

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi my question is on AMD processors:

1. What is the difference between AMD Athlon processors and Athlon processor type "C"? Are there type "B"?

2. Are there any of the Athlon processors pumped more than once (Double - Pumped, Quad - Pumped)? How can you identify them?

3. I am looking to buy the best AMD CPU greater than 1 gigahertz (not sure what speed I will go with just yet). Which type and FSB speed would this be?

Also, does anyone know of a website that gives the straight forward facts on the current AMD processors. The AMD site does not do a very good job of this. I am looking for a site that explains these things well enough for newbies.

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
Have you tried <A HREF="http://www.amd.com" target="_new">AMD.com</A>! The difference between the B amd C is that the C is guarenteed to run at a 133MHz FSB. All Athlons are double pumped, no more, no less.

- I don't write Tom's Hardware Guide, I just preach it"

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
1. Athlon "A" is Slot A 200MHz FSB and does not have full-speed cache, Athlon "B" is Socket A 200MHz FSB and <i>has</i> full speed cache, Athlon "C" is Socket A 266MHz FSB with full speed cache. Athlon "B" and "C" are nicknamed Thunderbird.

2. All Athlon processors are Double pumped.

3. Probably 200MHz FSB (actually 100MHz double pumped). If you wait two months you could get the same one with 266MHz FSB (actually 133MHz FSB double pumped.)

4. www.amd.com as you already know and use www.google.com to search for whatever info you want on them.

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone would ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s