please answer

novice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok...I'm having a hard time dealing with the noise of my computer at night. Because I put it on 24/7 and sleeping next to it...I'm currently using the "generic" HSF with the 1Ghz PIII. And the case fans are 80mm X 80mm Enermax Thermo Control Fans (one is in lower front for intake, the other is in the higher-rear for exhaust). The case is Enlight 7230. I'm assuming the "generic" HSF causing all the noise because those Enermax fan are advertized as quiet fans. So, this is my question:

Which one is the most quiet HSF that has good performance for 1GHZ PIII that can be found at online store in the US? (the Silverado is just too much hassle)

This is my system

Asus CUSL2
PIII 1GHz
512mb
ATI Radeon VIVO
SBLive! Value
40GB 60GXP (may get another big HDD)
16x/10x/40x Plexwriter
106s Poineer
NewQ Platinum Audio Equalizer

Please give me as much input as possible...thankz!

I try to smile everyday but I can't... :smile: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by novice on 10/28/01 10:57 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The stock CPU fan's are usually very quiet. Are you sure it's not the power supply fan that is annoying you? If it is you could replace the power supply with one of Enermax's Whisper series.

<b>We are all beta testers!</b>

novice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i'm using dual whisper enermax 365w psu...r u sure the stock fan is quiet? ... well, i don't know...it's just annoying me ...

I try to smile everyday but I can't... :smile:

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
GENERIC!!!!
might be using crappy fan, and that might be making it louder than usual..
or, he has realy sensative ears...hehe... ;)
then again, running with two extra case fans will also add to your decibel levels...however, they will dramatically reduce the internal temperature of your computer someitmes tho...so the noise to temperature ratio might be worth it..
what you might consider is getting a rheobus, so that you can turn those fans down when you go to bed.
i hope that you are able to come up with the reason for your excess noise, and that you fix it.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
well, I'd say running a p3 at its standard setting would run just fine with no case fans.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

G

I had a problem recently where one of the clips holding the fan on the heatsink dislodged the fan and it was spinning at a angle catching on the shell of the fan casing, Check that, Generic Heatsink fans run very quietly due to only pushing about 15-20 CFM, check that the fans aren't rubbing on any cables aswell this can sometimes cause excess noise.

The only trouble of being punctual is there is nobody there to appricate it!!!!

novice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i think the CPU fan is making all the noise ... ??? ... I don't understand ... One of you said that the stock fan is quiet ... well, I don't think so ... :smile: ... is there any HSF more quiet than that "generic stock" fan? ... please give sugestions! Thanks!

I try to smile everyday but I can't... :smile:

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I have a non-Whisper Enermax and it doesn't bother me. I have my Enermax Case fan's mod'd so the turn max RPMs and they don't bother me. You must have very sensitive ears.

I've never known any aftermarket fan to be quieter than stock units. It's possible that your stock CPU fan is defective.

What's the RPM on your CPU fan? Maybe it is has too high of a pitch for your ears.

I once posted a link for a cheap quieting mod for a Globalwin FOP32 heatsink that work for you. FOP32s are cheap now. Basically you remove the noisy 60mm fan and bend an move the retaining clips (just steel spring wire) so that it will hold an 80mm fan. Couple degrees cooler but much quieter. The advantage of an 80mm fan is that the 30-40 CFM units only spin at 3000 RPM or less compared to a 60mm fan at 5000 RPM or more. (I can't imagine the 50 CFM Delta which spins at 8000 RPM!)

I'll see if I can find an old link and I will update this post.

<b>We are all beta testers!</b>

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
You've got damn sensitive ears then.

Stock fans are always near the quietest out there. Other than that, I have no idea what would be quieter on a PIII, as I am only familiar with AMD cooling solutions. Also, PSU fans are nary a whisper.

:tongue: Have you ever tried cooking an egg on your HSF? Tasty. :tongue: