Question Please check my Setup, before i order it

Bob Bobson

Proper
Apr 19, 2019
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4dJCxG

All but one component is solid. Only doubt is the cpu depending on games you're looking at playing and at what desired refresh rate.

All but one component is solid. Only doubt is the cpu depending on games you're looking at playing and at what desired refresh rate.

Most games in 60-100fps in years to come. Im not a fan of 4k, and i even doubt upgrading to 1440p 144hz, currently on 1080 144hz.
i7 9700K is only marginally better in most benchmarks, and supposedly runs quite hotter.

Do you think that i5 9600k with OC will be bottleneck in future?

It's not really about resolution it's about how many frames a cpu can pre-render whilst still providing enough resources for other game cpu originated tasks like physics, AI, maps and multiplayer. 9600k is a decent fps performer but that's where the buck stops because it is so easily overworked from trying to prepare so many frames it is common for this cpu and 8600k (since they perform similar) to reach 100% usage unless you cap the fps to a level where it doesn't eat the cpu too much. This all depends on games though, cpu intensive games like Battlefield and Farcry, even Overwatch can cause high usages with these processors if fps is too high. Search 9600k high cpu usage and you'll come across many unhappy people.

9700k's IPC(instructions per clock) is stronger than the i5's and can handle higher frame rates much better. Since you'll be playing in 1080p, there's more frame pre-rendering to go with.

See this video, he explains the connection between resolution/refresh rate, frame rates and cpu usage.

Temperature wise, this case has decent air flow and if have a decent cooler like the Cryorig h7 or Noctua D15 instead of the Hyper 212 there will be no worry. Don't go for Artic Silver S5 if you're planning to, there's a too long cure period 200hrs. Go for instead Noctua nt-h1, no cure period and it performs better anyway. You'll get a tube if you go for a Noctua cooler. Noctua fans can be raised so there'll be plenty of room for dual channel ram since dimm slots are the outa 2nd and 4th slot from cpu socket.

It's not really about resolution it's about how many frames a cpu can pre-render whilst still providing enough resources for other game cpu originated tasks like physics, AI, maps and multiplayer. 9600k is a decent fps performer but that's where the buck stops because it is so easily overworked from trying to prepare so many frames it is common for this cpu and 8600k (since they perform similar) to reach 100% usage unless you cap the fps to a level where it doesn't eat the cpu too much. This all depends on games though, cpu intensive games like Battlefield and Farcry, even Overwatch can cause high usages with these processors if fps is too high. Search 9600k high cpu usage and you'll come across many unhappy people.

9700k's IPC(instructions per clock) is stronger than the i5's and can handle higher frame rates much better. Since you'll be playing in 1080p, there's more frame pre-rendering to go with.

See this video, he explains the connection between resolution/refresh rate, frame rates and cpu usage.

Temperature wise, this case has decent air flow and if have a decent cooler like the Cryorig h7 or Noctua D15 instead of the Hyper 212 there will be no worry. Don't go for Artic Silver S5 if you're planning to, there's a too long cure period 200hrs. Go for instead Noctua nt-h1, no cure period and it performs better anyway. You'll get a tube if you go for a Noctua cooler. Noctua fans can be raised so there'll be plenty of room for dual channel ram since dimm slots are the outa 2nd and 4th slot from cpu socket.

Tbh, i dont even remember when was the last time i played some high paced fps. Its singleplayer games, rpgs/jrpgs, rts, etc. I was able to play some newer games on oooold i7 in 100+fps, so i wasnt expecting i5 to be a problem for me. Also Hyper 212 is regarded as being able to cool down this i5 even at 5ghz+, so i dont think there will be problem with cooler. That 9700k is almost 40% more expensive then 9600k, and i dont think its worth for me.

You might be thinking, who doesnt want to upgrade to i7 but has 1080 Ti aorus extreme... well, i got it from store only opened, not used, with 4 year warranty for 550US. I wanted to go for rtx2070 before.

Also in FPS benchmarks, in all new games OC i5 is only 10fps lower then OC i7.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuUwLuQGPj4&t=457s

There are only bigger 1%fps drops, but i really dont mind those in singleplayer games.

I respect your opinion and wish you well. I've explained what to expect so it's upto you.

Here is the list:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($479.99 @ Walmart)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H115i PRO 55.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z390-H GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($184.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($174.99 @ Corsair)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($126.63 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Black Video Card ($1098.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2415.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-19 07:53 EDT-0400

For similar budget you can get way better performance and better quality build.

I respect your opinion and wish you well. I've explained what to expect so it's upto you.

Thank you, i have most of the components, but no Mb and cpu. What do you think i change my mind and go for 2700x? Or buy that i5 and later on upgrade to newer cpu, hopefully HT i7 in the future?

Here is the list:

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($479.99 @ Walmart)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H115i PRO 55.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z390-H GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($184.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($174.99 @ Corsair)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($126.63 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Black Video Card ($1098.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2415.56
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-19 07:53 EDT-0400

For similar budget you can get way better performance and better quality build.

Dont mind the overall cost, its very off. Most of the components i got/will get for close to half price, that gpu went for 580usd+-. Only the CPU, MB and memory would be for the price listed

Motherboards for Intel 9th gen id go for z390 guaranteed to work out of the box. Previous 3xx series need a bios update. New stock of these boards would have the latest bios but a chance not if old stock so hard to know unless specified on the mobo box.

Ryzen 2700x will last longer and be more resourceful vs 9600k. Ryzen 3rd gen is almost here, like May. If rumours are true, IPC will be quite improved matching 9900k for less price.

Top Ryzen motherboards atm are B450 or higher end x470. 3rd gen will probably work on these boards with a bios update if interested but soon to be released are 5xx series. 2700x is excellent value and comes with a decent cooler. 9600k will still have higher fps (not by much) but won't reach high enough cpu usage to make your games stutter.

Motherboards for Intel 9th gen id go for z390 guaranteed to work out of the box. Previous 3xx series need a bios update. New stock of these boards would have the latest bios but a chance not if old stock so hard to know unless specified on the mobo box.

Ryzen 2700x will last longer and be more resourceful vs 9600k. Ryzen 3rd gen is almost here, like May. If rumours are true, IPC will be quite improved matching 9900k for less price.

Top Ryzen motherboards atm are B450 or higher end x470. 3rd gen will probably work on these boards with a bios update if interested but soon to be released are 5xx series. 2700x is excellent value and comes with a decent cooler. 9600k will still have higher fps (not by much) but won't reach high enough cpu usage to make your games stutter.

I always had intel, thats why i feel more comfortable going with iCPU, but that CPU usage in games is soooo much lower for 2700x, and in my country, i5 and 2700x go for the same price. Im really tilted now. You think games in the future will be more compatible with HT when intel has none (i9 is a fluke for the money)? Or should i wait for the new ryzen series?

Here is the list:

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($365.99 @ Walmart)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D14 64.95 CFM CPU Cooler ($74.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 GAMING X ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($135.06 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($699.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design - Define S ATX Mid Tower Case ($96.11 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($72.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1746.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-19 08:33 EDT-0400

Probably near your budget range with still better components.

Can you provide the budget details of the build. What is the max you wanna spend?

Can you provide the budget details of the build. What is the max you wanna spend?

Well, i got some components already. that 2080 is 150USD more then my 1080 Ti, so thats a nono.
Then i got that evo ssd, a hyper 212, HyperX 32gb 3200 for 140usd.
Also case and PSU are on the way. Only thing is the MB and CPU, because of posts above, im staring to lean towards ryzen 2700x and aorus x470 ultra gaming.

I always had intel, thats why i feel more comfortable going with iCPU, but that CPU usage in games is soooo much lower for 2700x, and in my country, i5 and 2700x go for the same price. Im really tilted now. You think games in the future will be more compatible with HT when intel has none (i9 is a fluke for the money)? Or should i wait for the new ryzen series?

Games have been multi threaded for a while now. GTA5 loves more threads and so does Doom 2016, pretty much every game since benefits more cores and threads. I'd wait till Ryzen 3 and see the results. I still favor Intel personally, if it was me upgrading despite AMD doing well i would go for 8700k (for the threads), 9700k (without HT but has strong IPC vs the i5s) and preferably 9900k (combined strong IPC + HT), that's if i was going to continue with a 144Hz monitor, 100% cpu usage isn't fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Bobson

Proper
Apr 19, 2019
I'd get a better CPU cooler. And that 1080ti is massively overpriced, hoping you just listed it as you already have it or are getting it for about half that price.

Ill stick with that Hyper, i read it cools down OC i5 just fine so will see. i Can return it in 60 days so no problem.

Yep, i got that card for 600USD.

What do you think about CPU? I think its just fine for most games. Mind you, i dont play much high paced competitive fps, so i dont see a need to go for i7

Bob Bobson

Proper
Apr 19, 2019
10th gen will probably need a new mobo and probably wont see this gen till later this year if not early next so it's upto you

Last question, if i decided to go for ryzen 7 (its 150usd cheaper than either 8700 or 9700) , what mb to go for, is x470 aorus ultra gaming enough? Maybe even for future upgrade to that new 3k series? Or are they expected to have different mobos aswell

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Same debate, again. 6 years ago, everyone said games don't use 5 or more threads, so the i5-3570k is all you'll need, it's a waste of money to spend the extra $100 on the i7-3770K, since the hyperthreading will be a useless additional cost, heat, etc etc. Even Tom's rated the i5-3570k as the best gaming cpu that year.
Advance a couple years here comes BF5, optimized for 8 threads. Gta:V minimum 4 threads, better on 8, Starwars Battlefront, Witcher 3, BF1...
That i5-3570k isn't so pretty anymore, even the FX8350 stomped it in BF5, second only to the i7-4770k/4790k and the Hedt i7's.
Advance a couple more years and here comes AM4, Intel hot on its heels with gaming rated cpus minimum 6core. Just to keep up with game requirements and higher fps.
So now, same debate. I5 vs i7, will the extra cores matter?
I spent the extra $100 (not really) and got the i7-3770k. And I'm still in a position to run just about any game I feel like and get acceptable fps. Anyone with the i5-3570k retired it a while back, just to be able to get acceptable fps on 8thread optimized games.

With GHz topping out at the 5.0 range±, IPC hitting brick walls with nanometer processes, there's literally only one direction left to go, which amd predicted far too long ago to be of any use. Thread count. Quad cores are obsolete for AAA. Quad/HT is getting there. Won't be long before game devs stop marketing to quads as a minimum, it'll be hex minimums, and you have an i5-9600k with just 6 threads. All that money on a sweet system, and you are on the bottom of the barrel, again.

The Ryzens might be a few % behind in fps maximums, but apart from top shelf Intel, there's no stopping its versatility. With 12-16 threads now, and possibly upto 32 threads later, you can play Anything, anytime in the foreseeable future. The 9700k would be a better option in the long run.

I take it you've never listened to a CM hyper212 under duress. Buy earmuffs, you'll need them. The hyper212 is a 140w TDP cooler, and at 5GHz ± you'll be putting somewhere around 140w into that cooler. The only way it'll keep acceptable temps is at close to max rpm. Which isn't quiet or any resemblance thereof. You cannot over cool a cpu, but it's far too easy to undercool one. When it comes to cpu coolers on OC cpus, bigger is Always better. And the hyper212 is mediocre to begin with, it's regularly equaled or beaten by better designed 92mm coolers, even the cheapo Raijintek Aidos manages to keep up with it, and the Cryorig m9i tops it. At 92mm.

The hyper212 had its hay-day. That was yesterday.

Last edited:
Reactions: boju

Bob Bobson

Proper
Apr 19, 2019
It is said both 300/400 series will be offered a bios update to support Ryzen 3000 cpus. Think the bios updates are already out.

If were to get now, x470 Aorus is good.

If can wait, x570 may have full Pcie4 support across all lanes including support for faster Pcie 4.0 NVMe drives if interested.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-pcie-4.0-motherboard,38401.html

Ill go with that ryzen 7, and later upgrade to newer ryzen. Thank you for your help, and saving me from that i5 throttling nightmare.

Bob Bobson

Proper
Apr 19, 2019
Same debate, again. 6 years ago, everyone said games don't use 5 or more threads, so the i5-3570k is all you'll need, it's a waste of money to spend the extra $100 on the i7-3770K, since the hyperthreading will be a useless additional cost, heat, etc etc. Even Tom's rated the i5-3570k as the best gaming cpu that year.
Advance a couple years here comes BF5, optimized for 8 threads. Gta:V minimum 4 threads, better on 8, Starwars Battlefront, Witcher 3, BF1...
That i5-3570k isn't so pretty anymore, even the FX8350 stomped it in BF5, second only to the i7-4770k/4790k and the Hedt i7's.
Advance a couple more years and here comes AM4, Intel hot on its heels with gaming rated cpus minimum 6core. Just to keep up with game requirements and higher fps.
So now, same debate. I5 vs i7, will the extra cores matter?
I spent the extra $100 (not really) and got the i7-3770k. And I'm still in a position to run just about any game I feel like and get acceptable fps. Anyone with the i5-3570k retired it a while back, just to be able to get acceptable fps on 8thread optimized games.

With GHz topping out at the 5.0 range±, IPC hitting brick walls with nanometer processes, there's literally only one direction left to go, which amd predicted far too long ago to be of any use. Thread count. Quad cores are obsolete for AAA. Quad/HT is getting there. Won't be long before game devs stop marketing to quads as a minimum, it'll be hex minimums, and you have an i5-9600k with just 6 threads. All that money on a sweet system, and you are on the bottom of the barrel, again.

The Ryzens might be a few % behind in fps maximums, but apart from top shelf Intel, there's no stopping its versatility. With 12-16 threads now, and possibly upto 32 threads later, you can play Anything, anytime in the foreseeable future. The 9700k would be a better option in the long run.

I take it you've never listened to a CM hyper212 under duress. Buy earmuffs, you'll need them. The hyper212 is a 140w TDP cooler, and at 5GHz ± you'll be putting somewhere around 140w into that cooler. The only way it'll keep acceptable temps is at close to max rpm. Which isn't quiet or any resemblance thereof. You cannot over cool a cpu, but it's far too easy to undercool one. When it comes to cpu coolers on OC cpus, bigger is Always better. And the hyper212 is mediocre to begin with, it's regularly equaled or beaten by better designed 92mm coolers, even the cheapo Raijintek Aidos manages to keep up with it, and the Cryorig m9i tops it. At 92mm.

The hyper212 had its hay-day. That was yesterday.

Im going for that ryzen in the end. Also ill stick to that stock prism cooler. And later upgrade to better one. Also that aorus ultra gaming mobo has support up to 3200mhz on rams. Intel mobo has support up to 4266 oc. Is that going to make a difference on those ram sticks?