Question Please check my troubleshooting

Jun 13, 2021
So I'm sure I know what the issue is, the problem is that I can't fix it for the time being. While I wait I figured it would be a good idea to get a second opinion on the issue in case I'm blind.

Quick note, this happened about 3 weeks ago, so my memory isn't 100% accurate. So I had a weird power issue that I thought wouldn't be possible. My computer randomly shut down in the middle of use and if I remember correctly my UPS started to squawk. The thing is, there wasn't any loss of power to the PSU and it has built in surge protection on the port connected to the computer. Every single device connected to the PSU works fine, only the computer suffered issues. Maybe a bad power cord?

Originally, when I tried to reboot the system I'd get a red BOOT light and the system wouldn't post. After troubleshooting the issue I replaced the CPU and the original issue with not booting was fixed. However, I then still wasn't able to get my computer to work properly.

Mother Board: Asus X99 Deluxe II
CPU: Intel i7-6800K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 (either 16 or 32 GB)
GPUs: EVGA Hybrid 2080 FTW3 (in SLI)
Power Supply: EVGA 1000 GQ

Here are some steps I've taken to troubleshoot the issue and the results I get:
  • Boot using just the CPU results in a red DRAM light and a Q-Code of 53 (which is Memory Initialization error.)
  • Boot using 1 stick of RAM results in a white VGA light and a red BOOT light and a Q-Code of d6 (which does not appear in the user guide but i believe is a GPU issue)
    • Note: booting with 1, 2, or 4 sticks of ram has the same results
  • Boot using 1 GPU without the 8-pins plugged in results in a white VGA light and a Q-Code of b2 (which does not appear in the user guide but i believe is a GPU issue)
    • Note: posting with main 8-pin plugged in has the same results
    • Note: when plugged into a monitor, the screen will flicker but not show anything
    • Note: fan(s) on the GPU will start when the computer is powered on but will stop when the post beep goes off.
  • Boot using 1 GPU with both 8-pins plugged in results in a red BOOT light and a Q-Code of A0 (which is IDE Initialization starting)
    • Note: when plugged into a monitor, the screen will flicker but not show anything
    • Note: booting using both GPUs in SLI mode has the same results.
    • Note: fan(s) on the GPU will start when the computer is powered on but will stop when the post beep goes off.

• I've reset the CMOS battery at various stages throughout testing and that has not fixed anything.
  • Case fans power on just find.
  • Mobo lights power on just fine.
  • I've plugged in and unplugged my M.2 and Sata devices throughout testing and found no difference in results.

Now, I'm sure I've got a pair of dead GPUs (I swapped them around to make sure it wasn't a single GPU issue) and in the past I'd consider this the perfect time to upgrade my GPUs, however these days, with the chip shortage and non-scalped GPUs being rarer then hen's teeth, I'm stuck with a computer that won't work.
Please look over what i've done so far and let me know if you think differently or if you have any other suggestions for troubleshooting my computer.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
The UPS is still working well? You heard it squeek ...
Tried connecting directly to the wall?

Would try those gpu's in a different system,maybe a friend can help out? Think more likely that the motherboard has issues because of the powerloss.

Jun 13, 2021
The UPS is still working well? You heard it squeek ...
Tried connecting directly to the wall?

Would try those gpu's in a different system,maybe a friend can help out? Think more likely that the motherboard has issues because of the powerloss.
UPS is working fine, no issues. All devices that were connected worked fine as well.

Don't have any friends, so i can't test the GPUs. I'm hoping it's not the motherboard that's the issue. But my thought is that because of all the different errors and lights that it's not the motherboard. Otherwise it would always give a BOOT led; and maybe a related Q-Code.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Here are some steps I've taken to troubleshoot the issue and the results I get:
  • Boot using just the CPU results in a red DRAM light and a Q-Code of 53 (which is Memory Initialization error.)
  • Boot using 1 stick of RAM results in a white VGA light and a red BOOT light and a Q-Code of d6 (which does not appear in the user guide but i believe is a GPU issue)
    • Note: booting with 1, 2, or 4 sticks of ram has the same results
  • Boot using 1 GPU without the 8-pins plugged in results in a white VGA light and a Q-Code of b2 (which does not appear in the user guide but i believe is a GPU issue)
    • Note: posting with main 8-pin plugged in has the same results
  • Boot using 1 GPU with both 8-pins plugged in results in a red BOOT light and a Q-Code of A0 (which is IDE Initialization starting)
    • Note: booting using both GPUs in SLI mode has the same results.

With every step you take you get one further, seems to end with BOOT light from what i read which ties to the next,

But my thought is that because of all the different errors and lights that it's not the motherboard. Otherwise it would always give a BOOT led; and maybe a related Q-Code.

TRENDING THREADS