[SOLVED] Please clarify 25 pin serial connections to me

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
Hello,

Literally wasted an entire day trying to connect my dial-up modem to my laptop via the parallel port, only to realise that it was actually a 25 serial port that had the exact same shape and pin locations
I was so desperatly trying to get the LTP1 port to show up in my modem installation wizard, except only COM ports show up BECAUSE PARALLEL MODEMS DO NOT EXIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So... here is the thing, I do not have a 25-pin port, I only have a 9-pin port installed, can I just get those adapter 25-pin to 9-pin cables and be done? Don't I need the extra 16 pins?

Thank you, and apologies if I posted on the wrong section, I wasn't sure where else to put this

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
WOW!!! Dial Up!!! How unusual. You can get a DB9 to DB25 cable or adapter. You can see from the table that all the same signals are used on 25pin or 9 pin.

Yes lol, there is one last dial-up service running in my area, it's probably going to die soon, so might as well connect to it one last time, and attempt to do a few fun things like trying to stream music to VLC, so yeah it's more of a fun project rather than a practical one

Thanks for the clarification! It would suck to buy the wrong cable