Please critique choice of parts for lightweight video editing pc

alexmoose

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016
Hi I haven't follow hardware in a long time and since my requirements are pretty low I was hoping someone can help me pick decent parts for the job.

What I need: computer that runs fast, multitasks easily, and handles Camtasia video editing without issue, and handles a 30' monitor or dual monitor set-up (I don't use premier photoshop or game). The reason I want to build one instead of buying a used one for 300$ is I want to be able to upgrade it in the next 3-4 years.

Here are my parts:

Intel Core i5-8500 Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.0 GHz - I chose this looking at Tom's CPU list, anything more powerful seems excessive. I wanted the new architecture so I can upgrade later if needed.

MSI Z370 GAMING PLUS LGA 1151 - more of a random pick but it handles the cpu I need and DDR4 seems fine.

ROSEWILL MAGNETAR GAMING ATX Mid Tower - looks nice not too expensive.

EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 SC GAMING - this one is a shot in the dark. Good choice?

EVGA 600 B1 100-B1-0600-KR 80+ BRONZE 600W I don't know how to calculate power requirement is this enough?

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 - 2 questions, should I get another 8 gig for 100$ more or is it excessive? And should I look at ram with higher speeds?

Monitor I'll probably get something ultrawide 29-30+ inches or dual set-up.

Any advice appreciated, I am not clear if I should spend even less or prioritize differently.

Thank you!

ZeroWhite

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Go for 16GB DDR4-2666 (2666 is native for that CPU) your going to need it sooner then later. The rest of the stuff looks good, maybe look into a aftermarket cpu cooler (nothing crazy just something a little better) to handle consistent load. Video editing can always benefit from more threads/cores so if you can go for the i7 shoot for it but if it's not in the budget i'm sure you'll be fine.

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
dont see why you want an intel, as amd will provide double amount of cores,
and your not running some 20y old software that would gain from ST perf on the intel.

less than 16gb makes no sense (for editing), unless cost is an issue.
(same for storage: ssd over hdd, at least for the os).

gpu wise its ok, but most editing software will allow the gpu to help out, so a ti if possible (around 30-40$ more).
either way, cheapest 2 fan solution from any brand will work fine.

the psu is one of the most important part, nothing runs without it), so going for something a bit better would be a good idea.
you want load to be around 50% of the total output, as psu's are more efficient around that, and drop sharp below/above that.

case just because the TG likes nice, but there are good value cases from corsair/thermaltake/phantek/fractal as well.

put a few things together:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FYc6D2