[SOLVED] Please critique my first build (linked to pcpartpicker) before I finish assembly. Performance goals in the comment below, thanks!

Jan 15, 2021
PARTS LINK AT BOTTOM

Technophobe and MacBook Air user for the past seven years. Then, like 6 weeks ago, I bought an Alexa device of all the silly things, and somehow got into massive rabbit hole: servers and some basic coding, and then wifi heat mapping and network config, wiring, soldering/general scrapping and tinkering, and on and on until I decided to built this. I barely game but will again now that I have more than just a console (which I scrapped for parts a while back). Mainly though, I built this to be a crazy fast server/storage/computer integration focusing on system performance in quick memory (DRAM, RAM, etc) and believe my hyper M.2 x16 expansion card configuration in my PCIe 3.0 x 16_1 slot maximizes support at x8+x4+x4 via intel ssd chips (which were a requirement) on top of the massive boost the card gives to speeds. I have only the PCIe 3.0 x 16_3 slot left which is for my GPU, but I believe that and the only two direct Sata 6 slots I have left are plenty, especially with full water cooling and fans. I really wanted to figure how to get an internal Optical Drive, but the 1000D tower seems to not allow it. Anyway, here's what I got, haven't decided what to do with this much firepower, but I have a few good ideas-if you have more let me know! Keep in mind I barely knew the difference between LAN and Wifi 6 weeks ago...any criticisms are very appreciated! Thanks!

This is what I'm working with-3080 GPUs are very scarce,. <-(Here)

Solution
For server like setup you want more cores. More RAM. You say you will game occasionally yet you match 3080 with a relatively small 1080p monitor. I would invest into something with more real estate and higher resolution. Also you linked mac book in the price not sure if that was intentionally
Not a fan of water myself but see benefit in it.

madchemist83

Distinguished
For server like setup you want more cores. More RAM. You say you will game occasionally yet you match 3080 with a relatively small 1080p monitor. I would invest into something with more real estate and higher resolution. Also you linked mac book in the price not sure if that was intentionally

Solution
Jan 15, 2021
How much RAM were you thinking? I picked 64gb more for the 4000 speed at the pricepoint. Would slower and larger have been better for a server setup? I also wasn’t sure how my hyper M.2 x16 expansion card that consumes all 16 lanes on a x16 port would fair as it becomes a PCIe lane glutton and reduces that GPU to x4 speeds. I have decided to use my dual case to create a mini ITX gaming built so there is less entanglement between goals and to really utilize the CPU for each respective component. Do you have any GPU and RAM suggestions on the current board if I remove the gaming needs? I haven’t figured out what the bare minimum GPU specs look like to avoid CPU bottleneck inch, but my plan was to get a GPU that meets that minimum req. and use it on the current monitor, because I have a two desk l setup as is. Thanks for the feedback!