Please Delete This

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
There is a page on tom's hardwareware that lists all of the best psu's and it is constantly updated
--> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html
Personally I would suggest the Corsair rm 650x but any 600ish psu mentioned is this list will work perfectly fine.

As for the thermaltake smart 650w you suggested, I've never used it personally and I dont know anyone who has but it seems to rank pretty low in most psu tier lists. Therefore it will probably work just fine at first, but I won't be able to guarantee you that it won't die on you in a few years time. The corsair Cx 650m might be a better choice for a relatively low price (do get the new version though)

Chasingfaith

Reputable
May 7, 2016
Random crashes and shutoffs (mostly during heavy load) are both a very common sign of a dying psu. Just like Jimthenagual is suggesting, I would first try to rule out any overheating issues though.

How long have you been using that psu?

RacerDemon

Honorable
Mar 10, 2014

Right Now, its not going above 40c, max is 39c

Alright, looks like we can rule that out. Take a look at GPU temps too while we're at it. Again, while gaming.

Also take a look at your PSU fan. Is it spinning? That's a really good PSU if I remember right. REALLY good. How long have you had it running now?

I know most people don't, but... happen to have an extra PSU lying around to test?

RacerDemon

Honorable
Mar 10, 2014

GPU temps run about 40-50c while gaming. However, I have to have Msi Afterburning program running or my gpu fans wont turn on. I have had the PSU about 4-5 years. Only changes I have made is updating windows 10 and no, no extra PSU...Not to mention, it sounds like my fasts are spinning at different speeds and now its crashing/restarting when I am just looking at these forums...

Chasingfaith

Reputable
May 7, 2016
Overheating gpu's usually throttle back and eventually give you a black screen but I've never seen them turn off a system. Overheating cpu's and dying psu's do show this behavior however. Are you sure the psu fan is still spinning? Does the problem only occur after you expose your system to heavy load or does it also happen when idling?

Furthermore, it is definitely possible that your psu is about to die on you after 4-5 years of loyal service

Chasingfaith

Reputable
May 7, 2016
There is a page on tom's hardwareware that lists all of the best psu's and it is constantly updated
--> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html
Personally I would suggest the Corsair rm 650x but any 600ish psu mentioned is this list will work perfectly fine.

As for the thermaltake smart 650w you suggested, I've never used it personally and I dont know anyone who has but it seems to rank pretty low in most psu tier lists. Therefore it will probably work just fine at first, but I won't be able to guarantee you that it won't die on you in a few years time. The corsair Cx 650m might be a better choice for a relatively low price (do get the new version though)

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS