Please enter setup to recover BIOS setting.

eericc

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Hi everyone,

I sometimes start my computer to a screen check here

My specs:
Asus H97m-plus
Intel i5-4590
evga gtx 960 ssc

I checked the the battery with a voltmeter its 3 volts I cleared cmos I don't know what else to do anyone have any suggestions?

Solution
So I found out what the issue was... It was the Display Port cable I bought from amazon. Once I switched back to my HDMI cable the problem vanished!

eericc

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
what I did
1.) changed the battery
2.) cleared cmos
3.) tried a different psu

I asked my friend and he told me that the nvram is failing or the bios chip is failing.. So I went ahead and RMA

Apr 26, 2019
So I found out what the issue was... It was the Display Port cable I bought from amazon. Once I switched back to my HDMI cable the problem vanished!

Thank you for this very useful hint! It put me on the right path to find the root cause of the erroneous behaviour. Saved me from that awful headache!

DisplayPort won't work with one variant of the two variants of it generally available. Of DisplayPort cables there is a "pin 20 connected" and a "pin 20 not connected" variant. Direct connections of graphics card/PC to monitor need "pin 20 not connected".
If you wrongly get the "pin 20 connected" cable, your monitor will feed power through pin 20 to your graphics card/PC when your PC is off. This will cause erroneous behaviour.

Pin 20 functionality is conceived for signal repeaters and similar technology only. Not for direct connections of PC to monitor.

Further reading: http://monitorinsider.com/displayport/dp_pin20_controversy.html