Question "Please enter setup to recover bios setting"

Jul 31, 2021
Background:
My PC was perfectly fine. A few days ago I was using a vpn software and the software hanged. I wanted to close it but couldn't, then I was somehow able to exit it from system tray. Then I shut down my pc. My monitor turned off but the pc didn't. I waited long enough then pressed and held the power button on the casing, but that didn't turn it off either. So I had no choice but to switch off the power button on the wall socket. I started the pc again and it gave me blue screen. I tried everything from DISM to SFC scan to CHKDSK but nothing helped.

Now:
I deleted the partition and reinstalled windows. It booted fine but now whenever I start my pc, it shows this screen. I press F1 and it takes me to the bios utility. I check the boot order and my DVD drive is the first one for some reason. I choose my hard drive and then restart and then the pc finally boots into windows. I tried to reset bios using the bios utillity(press F5 for default settings) but it didn't help. I didn't try replacing the cmos battery because it is tedious and I'd have to remove my gpu for it too. But it would be hard to believe that the cmos battery is weak because I changed the battery last year, and besides, everything was absolutely fine before that thing happened that I explained above. It's also showing the correct time and date in the bios menu.

I don't know at this point as to what is going on and how to bring my pc back to normal like it was before. I'd really appreciate some help.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2021
Have you tried booting with your HDD plugged into SATA3G_1, rather than SATA3G_2?
In the BIOS, if you go to "Advanced > SATA Configuration > SATA Mode Selection" is it set to "AHCI"?
I checked and it's set to IDE but I'm sure it's always been like that.

As for changing port to SATA3G_1, I thought it wasn't worth trying it because the bios is already detecting the hard drive as indicated in the screenshot.

I checked and it's set to IDE but I'm sure it's always been like that.

As for changing port to SATA3G_1, I thought it wasn't worth trying it because the bios is already detecting the hard drive as indicated in the screenshot.
Yes IDE is the default on your motherboard, but it's now roughly 10 years old. Are you running Windows 10?

• Due to H61 Chipset limitation, AHCI Mode only works on Windows® Vista / Windows® 7. Please use IDE Mode on Windows® XP.
• [IDE] is the default SATA type. Under Windows® XP, there is no need to change the SATA type.

TRENDING THREADS