Please enter setup to recover Bios settings

hayley3

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
I have an Asus VivoMini and I just started getting that error. Asus tech support couldn't help me saying my only option is to flash the bios but that most likely wouldn't help the issue. They said it couldn't be the battery because time and date are okay. He said it was a hardware issue but couldn't say more than that. What would cause the bios to lose its settings? If I hit F1 it takes me into Windows and all is well, but I'm sure that one day it will totally fail.

I opened the case and I could not even find the battery. Any ideas appreciated.

I did try setting to Default settings but didn't help.

Cheryl

Solution
Well I don't see anything that looks like a battery in that pic.

I also can't find any reference to a cmos battery for that unit.

So my guess is there is an internal battery or capacitor and that's why ASUS is calling it hardware failure.
So you say it says something like "Hit F1 to run setup".....but when you hit F1....it never goes to setup and goes directly to Windows?

So if this is true.....how did you get to the BIOS to do this?

"I did try setting to Default settings but didn't help."

and if this isn't true.....did you save the settings after you set them to default?

hayley3

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
So the battery did lose date and time so I need to change the battery but sadly I cannot find the battery.
I would hit F1, it would take me into the BIOS, and then I would exit and it took me to Windows.
I saved the settings after setting them to default but the next restart it did the same thing.

hayley3

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
Yeah I don't know where I'd do that...but evidently the battery is underneath the motherboard...I know how to remove a motherboard but this is different because the i/o ports are sitting on top of it and it goes all the way around the outside edge, and I can't figure out how to get that out first.

hayley3

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
Oooooooooooh, well that makes sense, and it sucks, that I have to trash that computer over a simple battery.
Thanks so much for the effort you put in to help me...I am setting up my other PC already, thankful I have one.