Please explain 8GB and 1T

G

Hello,
I need a hard drive. Some have 320 GB and some 500GB and some have 1T..How much is 1T?

mavroxur

Distinguished

If you care about your data, get a Western Digital drive though. They're a little bit higher (a few dollars, not much) but i'd trust them a LOT more than a Samsung drive.

D

Deleted member 217926

Don't post crap you know nothing about. The F3 is as reliable as any consumer drive on the market today and better than some.

brandoncatz

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Just picked up a 1TB F3 on Sunday. If you live near a Fry's they have them for $55, standard price... at least the one here in N. CA did (Newegg drops to that price and they are gone in a day!). I've not got an F3 (for backups) and a WD Black 1TB (OS and Apps) in my case, but thinking of switching their roles after running a few benchmark tests and reading all the great reviews on the Samsung drive.

Buzery, if you don't necessarily need the space and have the cash, you might want to check out Newegg's list of Solid State Drives (SSD). Not sure what you are using them for, but these would be faster than the mechanical drives that are out there. Also would need to know more about your system.

brandoncatz

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Oh, and to answer your base question...

1024kb (kilabytes) = 1MB (a document is, on average, around 40 - 50kb)
1024MB (megabytes) = 1GB (an MP3 is, on average, around 3 - 4MB)
1024GB (gigabytes) = 1TB (terabyte) (a DVD is either 4.7 or 8.5GB)