Please Explain How to Use a SSHD??

ThunderBoyDavid

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2012
Okay.. i saw a 2TB Seagate Firecuda SSHD on Amazon tonight for $99 (11.13.2017). BUT.. the SSD part is only 8GB.. There is no way to install Windows in just 8GB. i think i saw something on a page about using the SSD for Caching.??
Could someone please explain it to me?? Right now i have a 1TB SSD.. i have had it for about 2 years... it's starting to have hiccups here and there.. and it's had many programs installed and deleted.!!
So i was thinking of getting a new C: Drive and starting over. Should i go with a SSHD?? Thanks, ThunderBoyDavid

Solution

Short answer. No.
Especially not that one. Mine died after 6 months.

On an SSHD there is no way to separately access the SSD part of the SSHD. The only way to take advantage of it is...

Sylvvester

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Even if you installed and deleted many programs, it would be hard to wear out 1TB SSD in just 2 years. Are you sure those hiccups are caused by hardware and not the bloated operating system? Maybe you just need to reinstall windows to fix your problem.

As for SSHD, its not worth it in my opinion. If you really need new system drive, go with 250GB SSD and get 1TB HDD for your data.

JoeMomma

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010

Short answer. No.
Especially not that one. Mine died after 6 months.

On an SSHD there is no way to separately access the SSD part of the SSHD. The only way to take advantage of it is if you do the same task over and over again, the drive will put that data in the 8GB SS part. In my testing it made no difference until I ran the same benchmark 10 times. So if lets say you did Photoshop all day eventually the SSHD would remember that you like to use Photoshop. Even then it wont be as fast as an SSD.

Caching makes sense in a server but is less useful on the desktop. Intel has Smart Response Technology is a transparent caching arrangement that intelligently monitors both data reads from and data writes to a standard hard drive, caching the most frequently accessed bits of data to a faster solid-state cache to yield SSD-like performance in a system that uses a standard hard drive for its main storage.

If your current SSD is flaky, buy a backup HDD immediately and get a new SSD ASAP.

Solution