Question Please explain Rockstar Server Architechture To Me!

Apr 12, 2019
Hey y'all

I am trying to understand the root cause of my 5 minute connect times while playing RDR2 Online. R* support seems to be full of people with limited experience, Tier 1. Not much help. I asked for a phone call and was told they are swamped with phone requests.

My DSL is 1.5Mbps/.5Mbps, ping is 67ms to google.com, I have a Westell 7500 router/modem Centurylink, an Apple Airplane wireless router to expand WiFi coverage, Nine different devices that connect to this network, my Xbox One is playing RDR2 using WiFi.

I can see ping degrade when other devices come online and are active.

What can I do?

What else you expect with 1.5mbs service, and tons of devices?

I don't know what kind of game you're playing but I won't be surprised if these five minutes are necessary to download some stuff before the game play begins. Open Task Manager, go to Performance tab, and monitor Ethernet/WiFi during these five minuts.

USAFRet

Titan
Hey y'all

I am trying to understand the root cause of my 5 minute connect times while playing RDR2 Online. R* support seems to be full of people with limited experience, Tier 1. Not much help. I asked for a phone call and was told they are swamped with phone requests.

My DSL is 1.5Mbps/.5Mbps, ping is 67ms to google.com, I have a Westell 7500 router/modem Centurylink, an Apple Airplane wireless router to expand WiFi coverage, Nine different devices that connect to this network, my Xbox One is playing RDR2 using WiFi.

I can see ping degrade when other devices come online and are active.

What can I do?
1.5Mbps download
Potential 9 devices

The actual problem is the (lack of) speed of your DSL connection, not anything to do with the game server.

Apr 12, 2019
What else you expect with 1.5mbs service, and tons of devices?

I don't know what kind of game you're playing but I won't be surprised if these five minutes are necessary to download some stuff before the game play begins. Open Task Manager, go to Performance tab, and monitor Ethernet/WiFi during these five minuts.

Red Dead Redemption Online is the game on Xbox One Console. Countless numbers of players are having same issue after latest update. I have learned that Rockstar does not use dedicated servers, instead peer 2 peer. I have also been told they utilize something called Konami Edge servers. I have been monitoring thru tracert to google.com, ping is 50 ish when steady, then degrades with use. Game loads just fine, then disconnects with a server error message.

Hoping someone on here plays Rockstar games and could advise.