Please help advice needed / compatible with FSX ?

G

Ok I got a quad core Q6600 intel , XFX 680i sli LT motherboard, 2gig of ram DDR2 pc6400 , 250 hd 7200rpm , 600w pws, XP home 32bit and a Gforce 8600gt 512 pci express.

Ok the only thing i do on this PC, I do my regular email and go online and shop but over all i play Flight simulator X this game can kill any card out there if you put it max setting i heard that the gtx280 had issues handling this game in frame rate per sec . So what i want to do is to upgrade to vista 64 and put 4gigs of OCZ sli high pro ram and dual 9800gt . But can my motherboard support the 9800gt ddr3 pci express 2.0 ??? what do you recommend without buying another motherboard . Oh i forgot my 8600gt gives me 30 frame rates per sec but when i fly near a city it goes to 8 frame rates per sec on med high setting anything lower the grafics is horrible .

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Dude take my advice. I love FSX and play it all the time. I was in your boat trying to get the best of the best. It cant be done. I upgraded to a Q9550 and OCed to 3.83GHz as well have the XFX gtx 260 core 216 at 700core and 1200 mem. I also have 4GB of ram. Yes I have XP but the ram did make a little difference to be honest with ya. Out of all of those upgrades I am still getting crappy frames on ultimate maxed out everything. I wouldn't even get a stable 20fps. So I have to still scale down. I haven't seen a PC that can run that game with everything turned up. Take off the glow effect and lower your view distance. Thats all I can tell ya.

G

This game is killing me !! ok what i did was i bought the vista 64 bit due to reviews on the performance on fsx , I dont want to wait for windows 7 because i want to give it a full year after it goes out on the market because i want MS to take all the bugs out before i buy it. And i also bought 4gigs of OCZ sli high performance ram and a CA PC Pitstop Optimize 2.0 software and of course last but not least the nvidia XFX 9800 GTX 512 i also got this card due to reviews. I hope this works i will get back to everybody with a new post of the performance. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-9800gtx-review,1800-4.html but if anyone has any recommendation for me please feel free to reply iam a newbee on custom building pc .

intel Q6600 2.4ghz
2gigs pc6400 800mhz
xfx 8600gt 512
xfx 680i sli lt mobo
250gb hrd 7200rpm

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
You need a better CPU for FSX it demands more from the CPU then the video card. I wouldn't even try running FSX without a 3Ghz CPU. So you need a better CPU or overclock the crap out of yours. One thing you can check and change would be your Auto Generated Sceenery. Make sure with your CPU this is turnd off. I do have to sorta agree with Bpitfire7, I haven't seen a system yet in person that can run FSX maxed out.

G

Ok... you think i can overclock my Q6600 2.4 to 3ghz ? if so do you think i should just overclock it just when iam playing fsx and lowering it down when iam not ? and what speed do you recommend that it would be safe for my cpu to run in and not have to worry about it frying up on me with good peformance ? i also checked in ntunes to check if there a cpu slider and i can't seem to find it . Sorry guys for these silly questions . like i said i am a newb and this is all new to me . thanks

geeeesh i feel like buying an alienware or custum built a pc with
Intel® Core i7 Extreme
Intel® X58 Chipset
1 NVIDIA® Graphics GTX280
1066MHz DDR3 Memory
Windows® Vista Ultimate 64 Bit
i wonder if this will take the headache away...LOL .. this game is driving me nuts.

Iam holding back because i know for a fact by december of 2009 corei7 extreme will drop down and x58 chipset will too
and the GTX280 aswell. I know that flight sim always make a new game every two years it will suck that in december they come out with a new game when in the market today there is no PC that can run FSX in Ultra MAx settings.

Reminder all the games i play COD4,HALO3,HALF LIFE,BIOSHOCK,GEARS OF WAR 2, and FABLE i play on XBOX360 and love it. Unfortunately FSX does not come for XBOX360. http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/h/hawx/ but jet fighting game do .

G

Ok... you think i can overclock my Q6600 2.4 to 3ghz ? if so do you think i should just overclock it just when iam playing fsx and lowering it down when iam not ? and what speed do you recommend that it would be safe for my cpu to run in and not have to worry about it frying up on me with good peformance ? i also checked in ntunes to check if there a cpu slider and i can't seem to find it . Sorry guys for these silly questions . like i said i am a newb and this is all new to me . thanks

Intel® Core i7 Extreme
Intel® X58 Chipset
1066MHz DDR3 Memory
i wonder if this will take the headache away...LOL .. this game is driving me nuts.

Iam holding back because i know for a fact by december of 2009 corei7 extreme will drop down and x58 chipset will too
and the GTX280 aswell. I know that flight sim always make a new game every two years it will suck that in december they come out with a new game when in the market today there is no PC that can run FSX in Ultra MAx settings.

Reminder all the games i play COD4,HALO3,HALF LIFE,BIOSHOCK,GEARS OF WAR 2, and FABLE i play on XBOX360 and love it. Unfortunately FSX does not come for XBOX360. http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/h/hawx/ but jet fighting game do

Intel® Core i7 Extreme
Intel® X58 Chipset
1066MHz DDR3 Memory
It will not take the headache away. And it will put a dent in your wallet.
Roll back the graphics options till you have FSX running comfortably. Don't measure that by FPS - measure it by how well you feel about how it's running for you. 20FPS in FSX is more like 30FPS is other games.

3.0~3.2Ghz should be OK. Just monitor your CPU temps - they will determine how high you should overclock.
No reason to OC' for FSX alone. Everything you do will benefit from a faster CPU. Just make sure your temps stay under control.
Run by the Overclocking forums for info/help on your next step.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Lol, that website is a joke. Did no one notice that their partners are EVGA, Nvidia, Western Digital, coursair, and intel?

That site is a blog site, that clearly gets revenue from ad clicks or customer purchases through tracked links. Internet marketing. You'll also notice how their numbers, if the charts even have them, mean absolutely nothing at all?

I've seen an old 8600 outperform the new GTX series. The FlightSimX engine is awesome in every area aside from graphics performance. It's not a matter of grahical strength, it's a matter of ACES's shoddy programging.

Ever since I bought this game, I've hated it. I've loved every flight sim before, but this one just did not scale with increasing hardware performance. So it's useless to me.

In playable framerates, X-Plane looks loads better, and has better scenery.

If you want my opinion forget Flight Sim X. Wait for the next title, which acording to ACES, is being developed as we speak.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Oh wow, after taking a look at that site more, I realize it's a System Builders website. And not only that, they're falsifying information completely! (Or rather making it appear something it's not, since the charts that they're providing information that has the potential to be false, they carefully leave any numbers or explanations out.)

Oh well, I'm getting too into this thread.

False? or potential to be false? or just misleading? Or maybe even highly accurate?
Certainly the advice they give for FSX upgrading priority (1. CPU 2. Memory 3. GPU 4. Hard Disk Drive) is spot on.
And the CPU chart for the X2 6400+(3.2GHz) and E8400 C2D (3.00GHz) looks really accurate to my eye.
To be honest, Im inclined to think that site is more accurate than your assessment (or was it a guess?).

For a Core i7 system performance compared to a 3.2Ghz Q6600 (see the 3.2Ghz Qx9770) would be something close to this chart;
i7_FSX.jpg

Read the whole Nov2008 review here for the rest of the story.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
No, they make it appear as if their system will scale extremely well with higher priced products by providing their charts which simulate overall system performance instead of gaming performance (Where I think one, maybe two of those charts are actual gaming performance, but labeled in a way to make it look all the same to someone who doesnt know the difference.), which is what the customer is going to be looking at if they're purchasing the machine based on this flight sim (Which I've had over half a dozen customers do already).

Though for the purpose of this article, the 9800GTX outperforms any other card in this game, from my experience. But the choice of graphics card hardly matters as long as you stick with a recent Nvidia Card. ATI was given the short stick on this game, which is a shame since I generally buy ATI for my personal use. Probably has something to do with Nvidia Giving out a box of Free 8800's to the dev team, which happens more often than you think. (For instance, I still complain to bioware for never fixing their ATI card bugs in nwn, and their only excuse is they tested only on geforce 4 series cause they were free at the time. lol)

This game has done really well with multicore CPU's though. I ran this over an 8 core zeon machine, and it was great. So it scales well with more cores. The more memory the better, but dont believe theh site in saying that ddr3 1600 mhz will give you twice the memory performance.

And the QX9770 is faster than the q6600 clock for clock, so I wouldnt use that chard for deffinate results.

G

So i guess ill just have to overclock my Q6600 2.4 and get a coolermaster V8 for it or wait till Q9650 Quad 3.0ghz come down a bit in price .

musicproducer

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009

Jan 20, 2009
HI HAVE THE SYSTEM you detailed below. I cannot get decent frame rates! I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED! I can consistantly get 38-42 fps on a single monitor. Hook up another and poof... HORRIBLE frame rate! I LOVE FSX but am so discouraged, big deal for nothing. I was amped thinking this would be IT. But it IS NOT! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

- Very Disgruntled

Intel® Core i7 Extreme
Intel® X58 Chipset
1066MHz DDR3 Memory

Reminder all the games i play COD4,HALO3,HALF LIFE,BIOSHOCK,GEARS OF WAR 2, and FABLE i play on XBOX360 and love it. Unfortunately FSX does not come for XBOX360. http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/h/hawx/ but jet fighting game do