[SOLVED] Please help Asus Hyper x16 v2

Jul 1, 2021
ok so i just bought a asus hyper x16 v2 .. along with 2 980 nvme's ... i put it in the 2nd pcie slot with 2 m2's inside of it
the first pcie slot has my gfx card rtx 3060 ..

my specs are .... mb: Asus Rog Strix x470 f gaming ..an ryzen 7 3700x .. it comes with 2 m2's slots wich i already have a 970 evo plus in 1 an a 860 evo in the other
so i had to buy this hyper thing to add more m2's ... now so far the hyper thing wqorks but it only shows 1 of the m2's i have in it an its only 1tb
but i plugged 2 inside of it an there both 1tb a peice... i wouldnt mind if it only showed 1 if it had 2tb but it clearly is not reading the 2nd nvme in there
i went to bios i changed the pcie to raid mode still not working i dont know what else to do

Solution
The Asus Hyper is only compatible with ThreadRipper, not Ryzen because it requires PCIe bifurcation.

In other words: this card has no PCIe switch to communicate with two devices at once. So the motherboard has to be able to divide (bifurcate) the physical x16 slot into two logical devices.

But the Ryzen doesn't support bifurcation, so only one SSD can be identified and communicated with.

You need an M.2 card with a PCIe switch, like this one. The switch that is integrated in the card lets it perform bifurcation on its own.

However, the card I just linked supports only PCIe 3.0, not 4.0. So let me confirm: you have a 980 non-Pro PCIe 3.0, not a 980 Pro PCIe 4.0, right? Plus, you're using an X470, so you don't expect PCIe 4.0...

mikewinddale

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2016
The Asus Hyper is only compatible with ThreadRipper, not Ryzen because it requires PCIe bifurcation.

In other words: this card has no PCIe switch to communicate with two devices at once. So the motherboard has to be able to divide (bifurcate) the physical x16 slot into two logical devices.

But the Ryzen doesn't support bifurcation, so only one SSD can be identified and communicated with.

You need an M.2 card with a PCIe switch, like this one. The switch that is integrated in the card lets it perform bifurcation on its own.

However, the card I just linked supports only PCIe 3.0, not 4.0. So let me confirm: you have a 980 non-Pro PCIe 3.0, not a 980 Pro PCIe 4.0, right? Plus, you're using an X470, so you don't expect PCIe 4.0, right?

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS