Please help.. Board on a Compaq Presario 5360

G

I realized that I made a terrible mistake of buying a Compaq. Now, I want to upgrade the MainBoard on it. It has an unidentifed (they say they manufactured themselves) board, with onboard Video and Sound Cards, and a AMD K6/2 450. There's no indication of the manufacturer on the board itself.

What I want to know is if I can upgrade it with a standard Abit or Asus board. These boards look more rectangular, whereas mine looks more square. My concern is maybe the slots etc., will not allign. Or maybe the power supply will not work.

If interested, here's a diagram of the board I have:
http://www5.compaq.com/athome/support/msgs/5300/ty10jmpr.html

and this is the power supply it has. The manufacturere says this is an ATX power supply, so it should be ok with the newer boards.
http://www.acbel.com/HTML/PRODUCTS/H_Pc/ATX_1_8822-8821.pdf

Please let me know if you can help me with this issue. Will I need a new Case/Power supply to use one of the newer mainboards?

G

Heh, I looked at the COMPAQ link earlier and got trapped into trying to figure it out...then I got sidetracked and didn't post. I don't know, that case looks pretty propriatary. I wouldn't be suprised if it did not fit.

This may sound stupid and won't help with the connectors, but why don't you got to the manufatcturers' web sites of the new boards you're thinking of. They always display the board size...a lot of online stores do, too. Make a cardboard "template" the right size and place it as far as you can into your case. If it obviously won't fit, then you have your answer. If it looks like it might fit, then maybe someone else has another idea.

Mike

mpjesse

Splendid
Dude, your wasting your time trying to upgrade a motherboard in a Compaq. It's like putting an 8 cylinder in a Ford Pinto- yeah it can be done, but is really going crank out the speed of an 8 cylinder? No. Buy a new case and slap a good socket 7 board in it. That way you can keep upgrading and never have to worry about compaq again!

-MP Jesse

"DOWN WITH COMPAQ!!!" Shitty proprietary systems.

TRENDING THREADS