Please help! (boot failure related)

storpedo

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
After coming back from a 3 day vacation i realized that i could turn on my computer fine, and it would work (the fans would run and all) but i never saw a boot menu even once. I use an antec 550 w Truepower II system, one that reacts excellent, even at lighting strikes, and i dont see if i could've shortcircuited my setup when i turned off my power coupling as I was leaving without flipping the switch in the back of my pc. I use an Athlon 64 X2 Machester 4200+, and a good zalman LED HSF. Just in case i cleaned between the HSF and the processor and applied some more arctic silver, but it didnt help. I use a 7800 GTX and have a CRT monitor, so i use an adapter to turn the picture from LCD format to CRT, and i tried switching it around and taking it on and off (same thing with the vid card) but nothing worked. Can anybody tell me if they experienced something like this? Please? Im kind of lost, since the pc was acting excellentley, and i dont trust the guys at the PC shop with my computer.

P.S. If it helps, ive recentley tried my hand at overclocking, but ive only crashed my computer once, and have a usual setup of .1 Ghz (or 100 mhz, whatever) over the default 2.2 Ghz. Cooling is adequate, my CPU stays at 30-45 (idle-full load)degrees celcius.

In advance, thank you.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
After coming back from a 3 day vacation i realized that i could turn on my computer fine, and it would work (the fans would run and all) but i never saw a boot menu even once. I use an antec 550 w Truepower II system, one that reacts excellent, even at lighting strikes, and i dont see if i could've shortcircuited my setup when i turned off my power coupling as I was leaving without flipping the switch in the back of my pc. I use an Athlon 64 X2 Machester 4200+, and a good zalman LED HSF. Just in case i cleaned between the HSF and the processor and applied some more arctic silver, but it didnt help. I use a 7800 GTX and have a CRT monitor, so i use an adapter to turn the picture from LCD format to CRT, and i tried switching it around and taking it on and off (same thing with the vid card) but nothing worked. Can anybody tell me if they experienced something like this? Please? Im kind of lost, since the pc was acting excellentley, and i dont trust the guys at the PC shop with my computer.

P.S. If it helps, ive recentley tried my hand at overclocking, but ive only crashed my computer once, and have a usual setup of .1 Ghz (or 100 mhz, whatever) over the default 2.2 Ghz. Cooling is adequate, my CPU stays at 30-45 (idle-full load)degrees celcius.

In advance, thank you.

Since you have recently tried to overclock, maybe something went wrong there. Try reseting your CMOS. (Find the reset cmos jumper on your motherboard.. move the cap from pins 1-2 to pins 2-3 wait 10 seconds move it back and try boot the system). This will restore all your defaults and might help your system boot.

Let us know if that clears your problem up.