Oct 26, 2021
Hi everyone! I've spent the past months reading these forums and troubleshooting, simply trying to get an OS to boot on my first PC build, with no luck :(

I've tried Win10 and Ubuntu, properly formatted with Rufus. The result is always some sort of hardware error, such as a Pagination Fault or corrupt kernel.

Specs:
MOBO: ASUS TUF Z270 Mark 2
CPU: Intel i7-7700
RAM: Corsair 2x8 GB
GPU: MSI GTX 960
PSU: TX 650M

I've swapped RAM, CPU, and PSU with known working parts, and am still unable to boot.

I ordered a new MOBO (ASRock Z170) which doesn't work either.

BIOS is updated on both MOBO's.

I received the GPU from a friend, and saw it working in his build before taking it.

For some reason, even when changing the BIOS settings, neither MOBO will boot with onboard graphics.

I've also ran Memtest86, which will report errors or freeze.

These are the errors shown when trying to boot Ubuntu:

pOpkisY.jpg

I feel like I've exhausted almost every possibility. Any insight regarding next steps would be very appreciated. I can't see the forest through the trees anymore and just want this to work!

Could it be an issue with the cables from the case? I really can't think of anything else to try.

THANK YOU in advance for any attempt at understanding/aiding me with my problem <3

Try running just a single RAM stick, and testing each one by one with Memtest86...

Default the BIOS, and run a single RAM module at default 2133 MHz...

You don't need a GPU or even an SSD at this stage of a debacle, so, skip either until you can at least get Memtest to work...

Oct 26, 2021
Try running just a single RAM stick, and testing each one by one with Memtest86...

Default the BIOS, and run a single RAM module at default 2133 MHz...

You don't need a GPU or even an SSD at this stage of a debacle, so, skip either until you can at least get Memtest to work...

I've been running Memtest with just one RAM stick at a time, and changing slots.

Neither MOBO will turn on without the GPU! And when I try (and fail) to use iGFX, and then back to the GPU, it doesn't work either, resulting in me having to reset the CMOS to turn it on again.