Please help - CDROM/motherboard setup

G

I am having a problem with my CD ROM and CDR Drive. Im using ABIT KT7A-RAID motherboard, AMD Thunderbird 1Ghz CPU, 2 IBM DMA 100 Hard drives. I have the CD ROM hooked up on IDE 1 channel as master. CDR is plugged into IDE 2 channel as master, IDE 3 is the IBM hard drive, and IDE 4 is the second IBM Hard drive. Most of the time everything works, sometimes I lose the CD writer, it doesnt show up as drive E. When I try to use the EZ CD Creator it tells me that there is no CD writer. Both CD ROMS show up in the Control Panel > System > Device Manager, but programs tell me it doesnt exist. I tried to put the CD writer on IDE Channel 1 as master slave, still had problems such as locking up when trying to burn a CD. Does anyone know where or how I should hook up the CD ROM and CDR drives? The plextor CDR book tells me it should be hooked up as a master, and the ABIT motherboard manual doesnt mention it at all. Any help you could provide would be appreciated.

G

it could be your software..
But.. i had a similar problem before but...
On your secondary IDE Cable for the Cd drives, make the Writer MASTER and the other one CD SELECT and...

USE A NORMAL IDE CABLE not the hard hard Udma 66 ones, that was my problem use a normal UDMA 33 cable

Also go into Cmos (bios) and go to boot options
bios's vary,, but most u can set for boot options
make the hard drive boot first then the cd drives next..
Unless u need to boot to floppy one day then set the first to floppy but after ur system is running etc.. hard drive first then cd drives..

Hope this helps
icq me if u want 93066542

Also if u are using a ide 33 cable the normal ones, try another cable incase the one is messed, sometimes it happens.. but it sounds like something simple.
Remember cd writer on master, and.. other cd drive on cable select

G

Thank you very much for the information, Im going to go give that a try now. Appreciate it,

Bela

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Be sure that both your hard drives are on one cable, and the CD-ROM and CD-R are on the second cable. Don't mix and match. The two hard drives should be primary master and primary slave ... the CD-R and CD-ROM should be secondary master and secondary slave, in that order. CD-ROM's are slower devices than hard drives, and if at all possible, should not be on the same cable with a hard drive. Be sure that you are using the correct cables for all of this ... and that your BIOS is the latest version to have full support for ATA100 and RAID.

Toejam31