Apr 22, 2020
Hey guys, this is my first post on here so I’m sorry if I have posted in the wrong place, I am so desperate for a solution due to needing this computer to work from home in the current global crisis.

So a few days ago I dusted off my computer (windows 10) to start working from home and it was stuck in a boot up loop, it would get to the loading screen and then constantly restart. I tried everything and my only option was to reinstall windows and start completely fresh. That was Monday and All was well until today, while using photoshop, having discord running aswell as Spotify my computer froze, i then proceeded to hard power it down by holding the power button on the tower, when I turned it back on it kept getting stuck at either the windows loading screen or it would say preparing automatic repair so I kept turning on and off and still nothing so I left it. I then came back to it an hour an a half later and turned it on, it got past the preparing automatic repair and let me boot into safe mode and I restarted and then it was fine.

However, 2 hours later I left my computer to get a drink and came back and it was frozen again and is doing the same thing, freezing in the windows start up screen or saying preparing automatic repair except this time it won’t get past it.

Does anyone know what is causing this? Is it a hardware issue like power supply or a cooling problem? Or is it a software problem like something is still wrong with windows?

I’m sorry for the really long read but just wanted to include as much info as possible.

PC specs if that helps
i5 cpu
1050ti gpu
8 gb ram
450watt power supply
Unsure on the rest as I built it a few years ago

Thanks so much.

Solution
Is this rig equipped with a spinning drive? (you might now be facing some corruption of the drive or pending failure of the drive; if Win10 was installed, and another functioning rig, you can make a USB Win10 installer with MS's Media Creation Tool; you need at least an 8 GB flash drive.) If the drive has outright failed, or is failing, then you can still function with a Live USB environment, be it one of the Linux Live environments, or even a WIn10-like Hirens USB based on WinPE....

Or, if you have another drive to install to, do that to test the theory. If a drive swap does not help, you have other issues.
Apr 22, 2020
hard to say really as no idea of the condition of components but generally what you are explaining is inadequate power from PSU I would think try and buy a reasonably good PSU whatever you can afford.

Thanks so much man I’ll try with one of my friends power supplies and see if that fixes anything

Is this rig equipped with a spinning drive? (you might now be facing some corruption of the drive or pending failure of the drive; if Win10 was installed, and another functioning rig, you can make a USB Win10 installer with MS's Media Creation Tool; you need at least an 8 GB flash drive.) If the drive has outright failed, or is failing, then you can still function with a Live USB environment, be it one of the Linux Live environments, or even a WIn10-like Hirens USB based on WinPE....

Or, if you have another drive to install to, do that to test the theory. If a drive swap does not help, you have other issues.

Solution
Apr 22, 2020

Thanks mate, I used a USB to install windows last time, ill see what other options I have until I can narrow it down to that, don’t want to buy a new harddrive if that’s not the issue ya know. Cheers