Please help. Computer not booting. Nothing on screen.

silentdream

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2005
Hi guys,

I finally received the missing retention module for the motherboard. I installed it, then I installed the processor (after the pins were straighten out) with the new heatsink/fan. I put in the new power supply, connected all the devices and closed up the case. I then connected my keyboard, mouse, monitor and the Ethernet cable for the hell of it. I plugged in the power to the surge protector and pushed the power button on the front panel. I did not get a display. I reopened up the case and all the fans were spinning, the video card heatsink light was on, the hard drive had power, I even reseated the RAM. Still, now I am only getting a flashing green power light on my monitor without anything on the screen. Oh, and I cannot hear a POST beep at all.

Can you guys tell me the next step. I would think maybe get a new processor. Maybe the processor was damaged when I accidentally pulled it up with the old heatsink/fan.

Please let me know as soon as you can because I am thinking of running out to buy a new processor.

Also do you think the motherboard socket got damaged when I pulled the processor and heatsink/fan up?

Finally, as I worked on the computer, I used an anti-static mat along with an anti-static wrist strap.

Hi guys,

I finally received the missing retention module for the motherboard. I installed it, then I installed the processor (after the pins were straighten out) with the new heatsink/fan. I put in the new power supply, connected all the devices and closed up the case. I then connected my keyboard, mouse, monitor and the Ethernet cable for the hell of it. I plugged in the power to the surge protector and pushed the power button on the front panel. I did not get a display. I reopened up the case and all the fans were spinning, the video card heatsink light was on, the hard drive had power, I even reseated the RAM. Still, now I am only getting a flashing green power light on my monitor without anything on the screen. Oh, and I cannot hear a POST beep at all.

Can you guys tell me the next step. I would think maybe get a new processor. Maybe the processor was damaged when I accidentally pulled it up with the old heatsink/fan.

Please let me know as soon as you can because I am thinking of running out to buy a new processor.

Also do you think the motherboard socket got damaged when I pulled the processor and heatsink/fan up?

Finally, as I worked on the computer, I used an anti-static mat along with an anti-static wrist strap.

Considering the repair you describe to your processor (bent pins, etc.) the symptom of having a blank screen upon boot is the likely result of a defective or damaged processor. If the computer worked fine before you repaired the processor it is almost certain.

mis33

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
Similar thing happened to me 2 days ago. I just opened up the computer to clean out the dust; when I put everything back together, there was no signal going to the monitor. All seemed normal, the lights were on and all the fans were running, including the one on the AGP card. However, there was no beep from the POST.

I did lift up the lever of the CPU fan/heat sink and ziggled it a bit. I did not suspect the CPU because I did not think I unseated the CPU at all. The CPU should not be unseated by ziggling the fan/heat sink !

I checked the CPU just now and it looked to be seated properly.

silentdream

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2005
What is this retention module you are talking about? Why were the CPU pins bent?

The retention module was not your standard socket 939 retention module. To install the original heatsink, I had to use the retention module that came with that heatsink. I misplaced the original retention module that came with the motherboard, so I had to call to get one sent to me. The processor pins got bent when I accidentally pulled the original heatsink off while trying to get it loose. It had stopped working, and needed to be replaced.

Techfan

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Lets assume that your parts are compatible CPU, motherboard, Graphics card and memory sticks. Try first some basic troubleshooting.
1. Don't connect your ide drive and start it up.
2. Try a different power supply from your old computer if you have and power on.
3. Insert only 1 memory stick on your motherboard and startup. If it doesn't work then try the other one. If still refuse to boot up.
4. Probably is your motherboard but if you want to be 100% sure take your parts and try them on another computer that is working. One by one boot the pc each time you put a part in order to find the defected one.

I had the same problem with my computer and it was finally the motherboard. If it was something wrong with your CPU, memory or Graphics card you should hear beeps.
Conclusion the problem is with your power supply or motherboard.

merc14

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
So you had an aftermarket HSF installed that stopped working. You removed it, pulling the CPU out of its socket along with the HSF, and bending some pins in the process. The aftermarket used a custom backplate and you had lost the original backplate. After receiving an original backplate you reinstalled the CPU, after straightening the pins, and installed an OEM HSF to cool the CPU. No video on boot is what you are getting now.

Is the above accurate? If so do you have another 939 CPU you can use as a test? Can you install your CPU in another system as a test?

silentdream

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2005
Everyone,

I would like to thank you all for looking at my post and replying with suggestions. You have helped me a great deal indeed.

The processor came in, I installed it and it worked. However, when my computer booted, it defaulted my BIOS to the default settings? Is it supposed to do that? Doesn't matter much to me though because I didn't set specific settings.

Another question: I have my Sata hard drive connected to Sata 1 on the board, but when the computer boots, after the ASUS splash screen, it gives me the version of my SATARaid Bios and the keystrokes to enter the raid utility. It never did this with the older Athlon XP 3800+ processor. the new one is an Athlon XP 4000 + processor. Why does this happen?

Also, i went into the BIOS and the Raid configuration is disabled under "onboard configuration." My board is an Asus A8N-Sli deluxe. Windows wants to install the controller, but I disabled it in windows.

Thanks again,

Ron